Packers in the Sierra

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Packers in the Sierra

Post by rlown »

If you want to have stuff packed up or be taken in on a mule, this article seemed to be a good start.
TYPES OF PACK TRIPS

Spot Trips – You are taken by horseback, your gear and provisions by pack animal, to a specific
campsite. The stock and packer return for you on a predetermined date. Your length of stay does
not affect the charges. You furnish your own camp gear and food.

Trail Rides – Fully outfitted traveling trips are open to individuals and groups that want to join others
in exploring the High Sierra. Packers supply stock, packers, cooks, tasty meals, tents and camping
equipment. Length varies from 4-12 days.

All-expense Trips – The most deluxe fully outfitted service includes stock, packers, cooks, food and
camp equipment. Your trip is customized regarding your itinerary, menu, livestock, guides and
fishing objectives to suit your group’s needs.

Hiking with Pack Stock – Fully outfitted pack trips where guests hike instead of ride.

Base Camps – Ride to a comfortable tent camp moved in by mule before your arrival. Spend your
vacation at one camp. Packers provide all meals and you have your personal horse for daily
rides. Ideal for first-time guests. This service is offered for any time period in the summer and is
open to individuals or groups.

Dunnage Pack – Your backpacks and camp equipment are packed to a specified location and you
hike to meet it. Riding animals are available for those that want to ride their first day over the pass
and hike out.

Continuous Hire of Stock and Packer – The packer and stock remain with you throughout the
duration of your trip. Camp gear and provisions are provided by the party.

Horse Drives – Join a packer in herding horses and mules between winter ranges and pack station
corrals.

Packing Schools – Learn how to pack and manage horses in the wilderness. Various trips
available throughout the summer.

Day Rides – Guided horseback trips are available for half-day and all-day rides from
pack stations. Advance reservations are advised.

Pack Outfitters – Permitted for service on Inyo National Forest
Pack outfits operate under special use permit and are monitored to ensure these outfits are
held to a high standard of environmental protection and customer service. Outfitters are
required to hold insurance and possess various certifications in their fields of expertise.
Help protect forest resources and curb illegal outfitting and guiding by making sure the
service you hire holds a current permit to provide services on Inyo National Forest.
Outfitters are listed in alphabetical order:
The list of packers are at the URL below.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 792442.pdf
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: Packers in the Sierra

Post by bobby49 »

I thought that the Packers operated out of Green Bay Wisconsin.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

bobby49 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:02 pm I thought that the Packers operated out of Green Bay Wisconsin.
:rolleyes:
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I noticed today that the pack station at North Lake is for sale.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

@rlown Thanks for posting and I also noticed the for sale sign at North Lake. My own personal experience has always been very positive with the stock packers but I can see that its got to be a tough business to keep afloat since their business model hasn't really changed in a 100 years and the season is so short. After a couple of rides to the top of the crest several years ago, I discovered that hiking it was actually easier for me. Its not exactly like sitting in an easy chair all the way to the top, being saddle sore is no myth!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

freestone wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:12 amAfter a couple of rides to the top of the crest several years ago, I discovered that hiking it was actually easier for me. Its not exactly like sitting in an easy chair all the way to the top, being saddle sore is no myth!
I'll take tired legs over saddle sores any day.

John
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

As we age, it sometimes is more convenient to either spot pack your gear and hike up, or grab a saddle assist to get the initial uphill out of the way.
I did this once with OldRanger who arranged the trip. It was pleasant not having to hike up, and I've been on horses since I was 6. Not so much anymore, but still an okay experience.
I would go with spot packing my gear as I can just take my knapsack and meet the packer up on the pass.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Curious if there is anyone that rents Llamas for use in the Sierra? Riding a horse is pure torture for me too. In the Wind Rivers you can rent llamas and goats. Also can get resupplied by commercial pack goats.

Given what packers cost, I would rather spend the money on UL gear. But I am glad someone is supporting the horse packers. It is a tough business.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

freestone wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:12 am My own personal experience has always been very positive with the stock packers but I can see that its got to be a tough business to keep afloat since their business model hasn't really changed in a 100 years and the season is so short.
It's also become more difficult and expensive finding insurers willing to write policies.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix