PG&E Power Shutoff

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: PG&E Power Shutoff

Post by maverick »

Power went out last night at work at 11 pm, still on at home, generator could not handle the large, and the two smaller refrigerators, lost items in one of the smaller one. Our 18 ft freezer has an airlock, so it was still at 10 F this morning. :nod:

That’s a close call Eric, good to read that they, and the house, are okay!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

Maybe if PG&E wasn't so worried about Wall Street and instead maintained their transmission network on Main Street, we wouldn't have any of these problems.

John
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

John Harper wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:28 am Maybe if PG&E wasn't so worried about Wall Street and instead maintained their transmission network on Main Street, we wouldn't have any of these problems.
Yeah, I've got no sympathy for them. They didn't maintain their equipment and they have a horrible safety record. Shareholders, thankfully, are feeling the pain with stock losing ~85% of its value in the last two years. Losing money is the only thing that's going to teach these people that there are consequences to running a lazy & unsafe company.
PG&E.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Thanks. She had already left with the kids to stay with a friend. Her husband is out of town on business. They don't get cell service at their house Without wifi so she wouldn't have even gotten the call from the fire department.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

John Harper wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:28 am Maybe if PG&E wasn't so worried about Wall Street and instead maintained their transmission network on Main Street, we wouldn't have any of these problems.

John
Or the state CPUC didn't order PG&E to spend millions on solar boondoggles that never produced a watt of power and spend the funds on maintenance instead.

Or if CEQA allowed maintenance without jumping through hoops.

Or SEC regulations did not mandate a minimum ROI to investors.

Or....

There is plenty of blame to go around.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

maverick wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:20 am Power went out last night at work at 11 pm, still on at home, generator could not handle the large, and the two smaller refrigerators, lost items in one of the smaller one. Our 18 ft freezer has an airlock, so it was still at 10 F this morning. :nod:

That’s a close call Eric, good to read that they, and the house, are okay!
Post a pic or two of your gen setup with the cook trailers..
My power didn't go out. Looks like they focused on the East side of 101. Just means I don't have to reset timers and throw out food.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

rlown wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:12 pm throw out food.
Shouldn't food last (stay safe) for 24-36 hours in a modern freezer, well insulated, but unpowered and left closed for the duration?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Didn't work out that way for some on the East side of Petaluma. Mainly, fridge stuff.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

These kitchen trailer refrigerators don’t have the airlock or are very well insulated. Once the temps go above 41F your in the danger zone, and I cannot take any chances.
Power came back on last night just after 6 pm. :)
New fire started in Brisbane yesterday, volunteer evacuation. The fire in the Santa Clarita area (northern LA) looks bad. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Well I'm in oregon and not affected but this am while at the gym just as I was finishing my business in the restroom the power went out. the restroom is in the middle of the building with no natural light. Luckily the lights came back on after a few minutes or it could have been a sticky situation!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!