Where to day hike in October

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
BardoPond
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Where to day hike in October

Post by BardoPond »

I have a few weeks off and I'd love to get back to the Sierra for more hiking this year.
Last year I was able to do a lot in October (Yosemite, Eastern Sierra) and November (Emigrant Wilderness, Sonora Pass).
Wondering if this year is similar or whether options are more limited. Any tips?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Where to day hike in October

Post by c9h13no3 »

BardoPond wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:39 pm I have a few weeks off and I'd love to get back to the Sierra for more hiking this year.
Last year I was able to do a lot in October (Yosemite, Eastern Sierra) and November (Emigrant Wilderness, Sonora Pass).
Wondering if this year is similar or whether options are more limited. Any tips?
Californiafallcolor.com is the first place to look. Generally any canyon on the east side of the range will have some aspens in them. The higher the elevation, the earlier in the season the leaves turn.

Climbing weather is usually pretty nice in October as well. A light jacket and some warm rocks make things pretty pleasant. And the dry & dead vegetation looks fine from 2000 feet up.

November is a good time for ice climbing :p, but by that point I'm usually looking to stay low in elevation and wait for it to snow. Course, places like Yosemite Valley are low enough that you can keep things pleasant.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

There is a wildfire along Highway 140 just west of Yosemite. So, figure that smoke will foul up things downwind from there.

Also, this is the season when an early winter storm will cause the high mountain passes to close in a hurry.
BardoPond
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BardoPond »

Ended up in Emigrant Wilderness. Highlight of the trip was a day hike up to Leavitt Peak, then down to Latopie Lake and Koenig Lake and then back to Sonora Pass. Ran into zero people, which made for a very peaceful but at times thrilling hike.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

C9 wrote:
Climbing weather is usually pretty nice in October as well. A light jacket and some warm rocks make things pretty pleasant.
What a hardman you are! I carry the "light jacket," but rocks- warm or not, are now beyond my abilities. Even when I was young and strong I only rarely carried hot rocks around. I have put large rocks into the my partner's pack for a really mean prank, and I can see doing that again, but I don't want rocks in mine. You have my respect C9, Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.