2020 HST Meetup 9/11-9/13

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: 2020 HST Meetup

Post by c9h13no3 »

I'm not sure I'd even use the group campsite. But if you guys were having a cookout or breakfast I'd probably make an effort to include that in my weekend plans.

Money ain't a thang.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

pro
Likely to be larger turnout of members.
Good driving to balance for diverse group between southern and northern California.
More possible ways for group to spend 3 days day hiking right from a roadside camp than maybe anywhere else.
Could drive to nearby locations for group day hikes.
Much climbing nearby within camp walking distance.
Some fishing within camp walking distance.
Plenty of photo opportunities from dawn to dusk.
Allows late decisions without complicating permits or hiking time to reach gathering.
Near facilities and store.
August past squeet season.

con
Fee to enter park.
Online reservation policy for extremely popular camp sites especially a weekend.
Ear plugs required.
Fees for campground. 304 tent sites at $26 night for up to 6 people. 7 group campsites for 13>30 people at $50 a night = $100 plus ? fees.
So after all that, does that mean your in Dave, can I beam you up? :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Have you thought about someplace like 20 lakes basin? same general area, unlimited walk-up permits, short hike, beautiful scenery, and no need to fight the group site permit system. Wherever you decide I would try to make it if my schedule allowed.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

gary c. wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:26 pm Have you thought about someplace like 20 lakes basin? same general area, unlimited walk-up permits, short hike, beautiful scenery, and no need to fight the group site permit system. Wherever you decide I would try to make it if my schedule allowed.
Great idea Gary; does offer great flexibility. If there is a crowd it can be spread out i groups of 6-8 tents or the like. Most people in the area are day hikers, but there is a fair share of overnighters, not ridiculous though.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

For me it is the date of the meet up that is problematic, not the location. I would prefer a June or September date. Is there any thought of offering the meet-up at different dates in the future?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

20 Lakes Basin is one of the back ups, in case we cannot secure Tuolumne. It wasn’t the first choice, because some members may come with a camper, or may want to bring their kids.

June is to early, especially if we have a big snow year, and September is to late, members have kids going back to school, or they themselves are attending school.

The sooner people chime in the better, so I have an idea on the numbers and therefore the sites needed. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I would consider it as long as it doesn’t overlap sierra challenge
Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
JMat
Topix Regular

Post by JMat »

I'm in.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Mav

I was thinking about setting the same thing by reserving a group campsite. However I was considering the weekend after Labor Day as the area would be slightly less zoo like. I have no problem paying $150 for 3 nights Sept. 11, 12, 13. It is the least I could do for what I have gotten out of HST. I was up at TM during that time period this year and weather was great but cool. Was there on the 16th, too, and it snowed. Somebody just has to remind me of date to make reservations. Not really into group hiking but love the idea of a bbq/potluck, getting together around a campfire, lifting a few brews and telling lies about each other!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Great idea, Old Ranger! I could attend during those dates.