PG&E Power Shutoff

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: PG&E Power Shutoff

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Everyone should be prepared for disasters, natural or man-made. For most people, living without power for a few days should be quite feasible. This is a good reminder that we need to pay more attention to emergency preparedness.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

maverick wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:13 am .... The fire in the Santa Clarita area (northern LA) looks bad. :(
It's bad. I don't think it has hit Santa Clarita area and remains on the South side of the pass, but if it embers up over the Newhall pass, it's going to get a lot worse.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Another power outage may come Wed/Thurs.. Fill your milk cartons with water and freeze before the idiots shut it down.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Power out since Saturday at work, supposedly coming back on today or tomorrow, work canceled today because of no electricity and hazardous air quality.

Hope all our HST members, and their family members (pets) are safe, especially those who live in fire zones in Sonoma (Kincade Fire) and Northern LA area (Tick and Getty Fires)!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

My house doesn't have power. But I'm not there. I'm in Wilton and I'm not going home until the power comes back on, as my brother and sister-in-law are under mandatory evacuation. They are staying with my wife and a water source is the pool, which they are using 4 bathroom flush and the horse trough
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

dave54 >>>..."There is plenty of blame to go around."

California citizens, politicians, and media that are now blaming PG&E about the constant fall fire season destruction we have been in this last decade, need to look in the mirror at themselves more. Although all these other societal elements can rightly point stiffest fingers at PG&E, they also have had their heads in the sand to let it happen. If some of the complaints had been focused on 2 decades ago, PG&E as one of the most highly regulated businesses would have certainly changed what they did. Especially if in foresight the destruction we are now seeing was forecast strongly. Instead for years, it was business as usual with the public utility commission focusing on rate hikes.

Consider how for 3 decades how big Wall Street real estate and banking financial firms have been running wild in the state continuing to build homes without adequate fireproof materials into vast areas of highly flamable ecosystems while encouraging endless growth and development. Consider how many homeowners in those areas have chosen to gamble on not allowing protective perimeters around their homes for the sake of aesthetics and home values. If current issues highlighting power lines and transmission lines had been looked at 20 years ago they would have seen what they now complaining about. Oh but there weren't so many fires back then so why would we? Well actually there have been endless fires over decades down in Southern California during Santa Ana wind events. It is just now with our dramatic climate changes that Northern California areas are now dealing with such hot dry fall weather conditions more frequently.

And our politicians? The one's that have allowed the state to be overrun and now overpopulated by endless foreigners in order to fuel growth and consumer markets, allowed weak home fireproofing policies, allowed building fire prone homes in fire prone ecosystems, allowed housing costs to rise to ridiculous for the sake of their buddies at Wall Street, real estate corps, and banks, while pushing their media buddies to point fingers elsewhere.