Missing HST Member near Lamarck Col Trail in Bishop, CA

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bmac96
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Missing Hiker near Lamark Cole Trail in Bishop, CA

Post by bmac96 »

Eric, what a fantastic idea..thank you so very much.
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Post by AaronRDavis »

In early September this year, I met Alan at Lake Reflection. If I recall, he'd just completed a day of climbing Brewer and traversed over to Longley Pass. Sounded like he was on a great adventure. I really hope he's okay and located soon.
bmac96
Topix Novice

Post by bmac96 »

Thank you Aaron, we all do!
bmac96
Topix Novice

Post by bmac96 »

All,

In addition to the Lamarck Trail, he could have been in North Lake area around Wonder Lake Basin, Mt. Lamarck summit, and Mt. Emmerson.

A press story is being released soon by the Inyo County Sheriff's to increase the reach of audience and chance of finding Alan.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Missing HST Member near Lamarck Col Trail in Bishop, CA

Post by maverick »

Inyo Co. Sheriff's Dept:
November 7, 2019 – On November 4 (evening), Inyo County Sheriff’s Office received notification of a missing hiker. The reporting party said that Alan Stringer, a 40-year old man from Huntington Beach, had planned on hiking somewhere out of the Bishop area on Sunday but failed to return home on Monday.

Stringer, who was described as an experienced hiker, did not disclose his hiking plans or potential routes. However, he recently purchased and ice ax and crampons, and participated in mountaineering training courses. Stringer was equipped for day-hiking only; he had an InReach device that he hiked with, but it was never activated. After checking trailheads throughout the Bishop area, Sheriff’s Deputies located Stringer’s vehicle at North Lake shortly after midnight on Tuesday morning.

On Tuesday a forensic analysis of Stringer’s cell phone activity revealed only one call very early in the morning from downtown Bishop on Sunday November 3 (before his planned hike). Inyo Search and Rescue used aerial support to fly the areas near and around North Lake.

On Wednesday ground teams searched the areas of Piute Pass, Lamarck Col and Mt. Emerson. Aerial reconnaissance with night-vision capability was used Wednesday night.

Today ground teams will continue to scour the areas near and around North Lake, paying extra attention to Wonder Lake Basin, Lamarck Col, Mt. Lamarck summit, and Mt. Emerson. Aerial support will be used again today (H-40 out of Fresno). Sequoia and Kings National Park is running a joint operation concentrating on the following locations: Darwin Canyon and Darwin Peak.

If anyone from the public has seen Alan Stringer (particularly on Sunday November 3) and can provide us with a more conclusive hiking route please call 760-878-0383 option 4. We do not have a conclusive description of what he was wearing but he could potentially be wearing a bright green “puffer” style jacket or a dark green light-weight jacket. His ice ax is lime green. Stringer is 6’04”, 230 pounds with brown hair and hazel eyes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
On Nov 7 around 2:30pm Sequoia and Kings National Park located Alan Stringer deceased at the top of the Darwin glacier, near the base of the notch to go up Mount Darwin. Sequoia and Kings will be conducting the investigation and recovery.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

RIP Condolences to family and friends. Lost his life doing what he liked. I was at the TH parking area Monday and didn't see anything amiss; sorry I couldn't offer any info as I saw nobody only parked cars.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

What a sad, sad, tragic event. Condolences to all who loved him. He seems like a wonderful man who died too young.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Ouch :'(
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
paula53
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by paula53 »

My condolences to his family and friends. I was hoping that he would be found ok. its a sad day for the HST.