TR: East side Sierra road trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

TR: East side Sierra road trip

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I misread the fishing regulations, and thought trout season ended Nov 15, so our "fishing trip" ended up a leisurely "tourist" and wine drinking trip with movies at night. "Free Solo" was the best! The Owens Valley was warm with mid-70's day temperatures and 40's at night. At the two higher elevation camps at 7,000 and 8,000 feet it froze at night. Unfortunately it was too late for fall colors, and quite dry and dusty; I doubt I will do another trip this late in the season.

We got a late start the first day and camped on the Green Lakes TH road about a mile up from Dynamo Pond at about 7800. It froze at night. Unfortunately we were informed that fishing season ended Nov 1 so in the morning we simply walked the dog up the creek.
IMG_1037_edited-1.jpg
With the low sun and inside our cozy trailer, we slept in and left late morning on day 2, deciding to drive to Lone Pine and then work our way back north. We stopped in Bishop and I went into the NF office to check on campgrounds. They have a pretty nice database now with all up to day information and the ability to zoom in to either a FS map or USGS 7.5 minute map. Also checked fishing regulations, and the only open fishing would be the Owens River, which was quite low. We decided to go to the BLM Tuttle Creek Campground. Had I known about the dispersed camping at Alabama Hills, so I could have walked around more. As the sun was getting low we took as short hike down the "Gunga Din" filming site. Tuttle Creek Campground is quite nice, cheap ($2.50 with our senior pass), and has a good view right up Tuttle Creek Canyon.
IMG_1039_edited-1.jpg
IMG_1075_edited-1.jpg
Day 3, we planned a morning hike to the "Stone House" also called the Tuttle Creek Ashram and afternoon up to the Bristlecone Forest. Many years ago we passed the Stone House twice; once to climb Langley, LeConte and Corcoran, another time to climb a south face route on Lone Pine Creek. Since I forgot my maps at home and my husband forgot to bring his GPS, we had forgotten that it was a 4-mile round trip with a steady uphill walk of 1,500 feet! We parked as the road became badly rutted about a mile before the trailhead, only to find as we walked up, that it actually was fine. The low sun provided thankful shade as we hiked. We spent about half an hour at the building and then returned. By the time we were back at our trailer, it was too late to run up to Bristlecone Forest. We instead did the short "Arch Loop" at Alabama Hills and then indulged in wine and brie.
IMG_1052_edited-1.jpg
IMG_1054_crop_edited-1.jpg
IMG_1060_edited-1.jpg
IMG_1059_edited-1.jpg
IMG_1067_edited-1.jpg
Day 4, we again got a lazy start and headed north, checking out the Baker Creek campground (pretty dismal) and decided to continue on and do a walk around Convict Lake and save Bristlecone Forest for another trip. It was the next to last day of fishing at Convict Lake, but serious fishermen were out and nobody was catching anything. We continued up the road only to find that all the campgrounds at Bridgeport were closed. At the FS office were told that dispersed camping up the Little Walker River was good, although the campground was closed. We set up on the first pull-off and I took our dog on a walk up the road.
IMG_1047_edited-1.jpg
IMG_1078_Convict Lk.jpg
Day 5, we drove up the road to check out the campground as well as the Burt Canyon Trailhead. It was overcast but the clouds thinned before we left. We then just drove home over Monitor Pass, Luther Pass and Echo Summit. .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: East side Sierra road trip

Post by bobby49 »

That's a good looking dog you've got there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My husband got a better photo of the dog. The entire trip was really dog-friendly. Alabama Hills is very sandy and easy on dog's paws. The trail up to the Stone House is also a good trail, only problem is if your dog does not know how to not step on cactus. The first water is a ways up so carry water for the dog.
IMG_0518_cropped_edited-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Nice notes, Daisy. We just spent some time at our cabin outside of Sonora. It's a great time to be out in the mountains...

And quiet, too!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I am going to make every effort to attend the next get togeather similar to this one. I backpacked more than 500 days but also camped in the sierra about 100 days. My favorite place to camp is Yosimite then rock creek.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Nice pics and write up, Daisy. Thanks for posting.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Happy travels, looks like you all had a great time. What a shaggy border collie!
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:07 pm Day 3, we planned a morning hike to the "Stone House" also called the Tuttle Creek Ashram and afternoon up to the Bristlecone Forest. Many years ago we passed the Stone House twice; once to climb Langley, LeConte and Corcoran, another time to climb a south face route on Lone Pine Creek. Since I forgot my maps at home and my husband forgot to bring his GPS, we had forgotten that it was a 4-mile round trip with a steady uphill walk of 1,500 feet! We parked as the road became badly rutted about a mile before the trailhead, only to find as we walked up, that it actually was fine.
Here's a shot of the bridge that crosses the S. Fork of Tuttle Creek, cross the bridge, follow the trail to the R and after a gradual uphill, there's the "Stone House":

(from josiah piwigo com)
IMG_2729.JPG
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Well you made the most of it last fall. Generally Eastern Sierra Nevada fall leaf season is waning even at lowest elevations of 6k by the third week of October and that is also when most late use INF campgrounds close. Wisest consistent period is the first week of October.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Great report. Have not made it to the "ashram" yet, but it's on the list. Have a great winter!!!

John