Missing HST Member near Lamarck Col Trail in Bishop, CA

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Missing HST Member near Lamarck Col Trail in Bishop, CA

Post by kpeter »

Condolences to Alan's family. Given his family this is even more tragic than most. It is hard to know what to say.

But Pastor Mike Turner, who died in the wilderness some 20 years ago, was able to leave a message for his family as he realized his end was coming. His message, or something very like it, is probably the message that all of us would like to leave for our families if we have the chance:

"I had dreamed of a special time alone with God, facing the elements, the passes, thinking about my life, the direction of the church, about my family," the Rev. Turner wrote. "Indeed, this has been all of those things only magnified 100 times. Thoughts about life, God, people, risk, filling my time. ... God will make a way either earthly or heavenly. My only dread is not seeing my family and being present with them in body."

https://www.deseret.com/2008/9/13/20274 ... nspiration
Last edited by kpeter on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pulpit
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Pulpit »

I'm so sorry to hear of Alan's passing, but as bmac pointed out he was doing something that he loved and I hope his family and loved ones can take some small amount of comfort in that. It is unimaginably sobering to hear of someone right around my age passing away carrying out the same types of activities in the same types of locations as myself.

Rest in peace, Alan, our prayers and thoughts are with your loved ones.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I hope Alan rests in peace, but at the same time it would be nice to know what he died from. Rock Fall? Medical?

@ERIC.. someone to add to the gone but not forgotten page.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I was down in Lone Pine this week and asked at the Visitor Center if there was any more information on both accidents. On Red Slate it was rockfall that killed both women. Steep couloirs in freeze-thaw conditions often have rockfall. The women climbing were very experienced. The Inyo Sherriff's office has not released any more on Alan's accident and it is still under investigation. But, if the family does not give release, the results of the investigation are not released to the public.
chulavista
Topix Acquainted

Post by chulavista »

It would be nice if someone or some group could submit FOIA requests and compile these events. There should be an automatic release when public resources are spent on SAR.

"Success teaches us nothing; only failure teaches." -Admiral Rickover
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

chulavista wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:34 pm There should be an automatic release when public resources are spent on SAR.
The SAR search itself was public, but his death was a private event.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Agree that the family has a right to privacy.

Not sure it is done anymore, but there used to be an annual report, called "Accidents in North American Mountaineering", that did a good job of analyzing accidents with the objective of preventing future accidents. They were very good at presenting facts still with respecting the victims.

It would be great if a similar report would be put out for all accidents in the Sierra; could be done totally without naming and more of a risk management analysis. However, that would take a lot of funding; counties who do SAR's are stretched thin in funding already. It would have to be more than just "laymen's" opinions, but fact-based objective risk management studies by those trained in risk management.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

I think you are talking about the American Alpine Club accident reports(?). They are still done, but you have to be a member or buy:

https://americanalpineclub.myshopify.co ... blications

I agree it would be super to get that sort of analysis specifically on Sierra incidents, and likely that info would potentially help future SAR missions, as well as, educate climbers.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Inyo does post reports, but I'm not seeing anything recently published probably because of resources to do so.
Not really complete reports, but at least it is something.

https://inyosar.com/category/missions-reports/
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Looks like they are about 3 months behind in reporting. We just need to wait and see.