Question: winter sleep clothes

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Walaben
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Question: winter sleep clothes

Post by Walaben »

While winter backpacking, what is everyone sleeping in? I have both a 20* top/underquilt, while still being wieght conscious , how much extra clothes are we wearing/ carrying? I'm assuming that I shouldn't sleep in the same clothes that have been worn all day. I have not slept out in the colder weather yet. Thank you.

I'm going to be backpacking europe from April 30 till June 28.

I'm bringing very little clothing with me so I've been picking lightweight, fast drying and durable clothing for my trip... I'm torn over whether I should bring a pair of jeans or not. I've read that I should ditch the jeans because during the summer they are too hot, and take too long to dry. Good points.... but I've never gone on any type of trip without a pair of jeans, and I always find them the easiest to wear when I'm camping over a weekend.

Since I'm not quite sure what to expect on my trip, I was wondering if any experienced travelers can weigh in on the pros & cons of bringing jeans...

Would you leave home without them? Or would you consider them the most versatile pants for 2 months of travel?
Last edited by Walaben on Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Question: winter sleep clothes

Post by Wandering Daisy »

"Winter" can mean a wide variety of conditions. Where exactly and what time of year are you asking about? Cold dry conditions are very different from cold-wet conditions.

The best way to learn winter backpacking is to camp right next to your car to try out gear. If you live in snow country, then just camp in your back yard! That way, if you have the wrong gear, you can easily bail out to your car and turn on the heat. Then test your "moving" gear with short day trips. Do you plan on skiing? snowshoeing? walking? When you get the camping part and walking part figured out, do a short 1-2 mile backpack. Gradually increase distances.

Do some reading and research on winter weather forecasts, avalanches, hypothermia, frost bite, repair and how your snowshoes/skiis work, etc - basically winter safety.

My first impression is that 20-degree sleeping quilt or bag is not sufficient for the Sierra in the winter. Ounce for ounce, a sleeping bag rated to a lower temperature is going weigh less than adding clothing. Tents have to be designed to shed snow.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:31 pm When you get the camping part and walking part figured out, do a short 1-2 mile backpack. Gradually increase distances.
The other thing I would say is to go out in spring/fall conditions more often as well. The difference between August, May, and October is pretty drastic. Spring trips teach you to deal with snow on the ground, fall has the cold temps & short days. Then winter has it's own set of challenges that you don't face in either season.

Honestly, most people don't backpack the Sierra in winter. It's really hard. This trip report is a good example of why.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

Walaben wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:21 am While winter backpacking, what is everyone sleeping in? I have both a 20* top/underquilt, while still being wieght conscious , how much extra clothes are we wearing/ carrying? I'm assuming that I shouldn't sleep in the same clothes that have been worn all day. I have not slept out in the colder weather yet. Thank you.
In the past I have gone on backcountry ski trips in the Sierra Nevada in February and March. My campsites varied in elevation from 9000 feet to 11000 feet. I used a synthetic hooded sleeping bag rated to -10 F and I slept in heavyweight thermals. I also used a fleece balaclava and down booties. I would place my ski boot liners in the foot of my sleeping bag since they were usually wet from perspiration and otherwise would freeze at night. Canister isobutane stoves don't work very well below freezing, so I used white gas. I also carried insulated pants and jacket, gloves, hat, etc since it's winter. I think my total pack weight for winter trips is about twice my total pack weight for summer trips. I also tend to carry more food in the winter since calories are important for staying warm.

If the clothes you wear during the day are wet from sweat, you might as well wear them or they'll freeze. At least put them in your bag with you.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

TurboHike wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:25 pm If the clothes you wear during the day are wet from sweat, you might as well wear them or they'll freeze. At least put them in your bag with you.
I wore a damp from sweat shirt to "bed" one freezing cold night. During the night, my upper body was so cold my teeth were chattering, but my lower body was toasty warm. It took me a few minutes to figure out that the evaporative cooling from my shirt was keeping my upper body cold. I'm not going to wear wet/damp clothes to bed again. I've considered using "hot hands" warmers, or a similar product, to keep my shoes/socks from freezing, but I've never tried it.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

The Other Tom wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:01 am
TurboHike wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:25 pm If the clothes you wear during the day are wet from sweat, you might as well wear them or they'll freeze. At least put them in your bag with you.
I wore a damp from sweat shirt to "bed" one freezing cold night. During the night, my upper body was so cold my teeth were chattering, but my lower body was toasty warm. It took me a few minutes to figure out that the evaporative cooling from my shirt was keeping my upper body cold. I'm not going to wear wet/damp clothes to bed again. I've considered using "hot hands" warmers, or a similar product, to keep my shoes/socks from freezing, but I've never tried it.
That's a fair point, especially if you're using fabrics that retain a lot of moisture. In the winter I only use polyester baselayers and fleece, so if they're wet, they usually dry while doing camp chores or shortly after I get into my bag.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Drying damp clothes inside your sleeping bag is an age-old practice. The key is to manage the moisture - not too much. It does not work if something is truly wet. I mostly use it to dry damp socks or gloves, placed on my belly or lay them at my side, but not on me. You have to be careful if you are out for a long time. Not all of the moisture that evaporates escapes the sleeping bag and small ice crystals can build up inside the insulation. Over time you end up with reduced loft. In the winter sweat management while moving is very important and reduces the need to dry off inside the sleeping bag.

Summer backpacking is forgiving - make mistakes and you may be miserable but usually survive. Winter back-country travel is brutal- make even a small mistake and you could quickly get into a survival situation and die. To me, that is the biggest difference. You have to be meticulous about everything. It is not something to take lightly. It is a lot more than just adding more gear to accommodate colder temperatures. Only the VERY experienced should even attempt to do UL winter trips. Gear that provides needed backup always beats a few ounces saved.

I did all my winter mountaineering ( 2-3 week trips in seriously cold conditions) in a large group. I wound never consider going solo since everyone does make small mistakes and in a group you have back-up. Also, several bodies huddled together are warmer than one alone. Two bodies in a small tent provides additional heat. Illness and small injuries become big problems in winter and others who can help are critical.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Walaben wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:21 am Would you leave home without them? Or would you consider them the most versatile pants for 2 months of travel?
What did you decide?

I've never travelled for two months...... !
Polypropylene is a good material for winter clothes to sleep in, but, if it feels uncomfortable, I would wear a soft, silky like layer against my skin. Amazon says this about polypro

"Polypropylene will keep you warm and dry because it has the lowest thermal conductivity of any traditional apparel fabric. Thermal conductivity is the measurement used to determine the rate at which heat (from your body) is transferred through the fabric to the outside where it is lost. A lower thermal transfer rate is a better because it means heat will be lost over a longer period of time. Polypropylene has the lowest body heat or thermal conductivity of any traditional apparel fabric including silk, polyester and wool. The U.S. Military chooses polypropylene as their cold weather base layer of clothing and for good reason. Military Thermals not only keeps you warmer and dryer, but Military Thermals even at expedition maximum weight is thin, light and does not have the bulk of other materials such as wool that would be required to provide the same warmth. This combination of thermal efficient fabric and weight, gives you more freedom of movement while maximizing warmth. Polypropylene is ideal for under work clothing and for outdoor sporting activities like hiking, biking, fishing and camping just got more enjoyable when you are warm. "

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

This post is from 2019 and refers to a trip that year. It would be interesting to hear what actually happened, but I think "walaben" left us. It was not until I reread the post that I realized the question was aimed at winter travel in Europe (likely staying in a tent instead of hotels) not backpacking -- 2 months on the road, not in the wilderness.