What was your Christmas meal?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

What was your Christmas meal?

Post by rlown »

Just wondering. I cooked last night. Prime rib (Alton Brown style.) Charred asparagus. Baked potatoes.
Simba is loving the rib bones.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: What was your Christmas meal?

Post by balzaccom »

We usually have Dungeness crab for Christmas Eve, and then a heavier meal for Christmas day. But this year no crab, so we had some lovely slow-cooked short ribs with mushrooms, etc. for the 24th. My wife is a professional chef, so it was pretty much perfect. And a bottle of Chateau Cantemerle 2000.

And then today we had brunch down at the in-laws---eggs, ham, etc....and my wife's cinnamon rolls.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Gonna be hard to top that...

Ham, sweet potato casserole, green beans, and a spinach/pomegranate salad. Enjoyed with the wife’s side of the family in Rochester, NY.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I put a 10lb Rib eye in the smoker for the afternoon. Smoked bone in until ready to cut and serve.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nice. What smoker do you use and what was your rub?
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

We had tri tip done on the bbq with a combo of Western and Japanese sides done in the kitchen. This included Japanese fried chicken (karaage), a tofu/spinach dish, a pasta-chicken casserole, tossed green salad. Sweets included chocolate chip cookies, and my signature Russian Teacakes (favorite Christmas cookie that my mom made--now the favorite of my family), and cinnamon rolls cooked up on the spot after dinner. There were two different red wines (a Bordeaux and a Columbia R. area Cab), and good selection of bottled beer, including three of my own, which I wrote onto a little white board as if my house was a craft beer bar.
0469Xmas2019forguestsCR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Didn't see a nice Sierra Nevada Porter on your whiteboard. Hard to find if they even make it anymore. The stout works.
If I start brewing again, I have a nice porter recipe from the Cat's meow with a few tweaks I like.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Tossed green salad, creamy parsnip soup, grilled New York steak, baked potato, nusskuchen, and a 2016 Zichichi Petite Syrah (Sonoma, Dry Creek).
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

rlown wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:23 am Nice. What smoker do you use and what was your rub?
Russ,
I have a Masterbuilt Elec Smoker. For rub I used a Montreal steak seasoning and then went over it again with another layer of garlic powder. Ran it at 125 degrees and smoked the entire time alternating hickory and cherry wood. I pulled it when the internal probe registered 130 degrees (about 6hrs) then wrapped/wrest for an hour before slicing. It was the first time I've smoked a rib eye and it was great.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nice approach! Most don't get that 125/130 temp thing. Per Alton recipe, I hit it with 500 degrees at the end until I get the desired crust.