I bought used AT skis but now need boots

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: I bought used AT skis but now need boots

Post by DAVELA »

Harlen,these feel like 5-6lbs per ski.They are heavy.They are 166cm and 5 inch wide right before the tips.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Dave - I think those are not the skis you want. they are pure downhill skis, not intended for touring on mellow terrain, and will be heavy and very slow for the sort of thing you want to do.
What skis, boots and bindings have you tried? and do you intend to do day trips, or multi-day with a pack? Knowing what has not worked for you would be helpful in considering what might work better.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Dave,
I am so glad Paul has entered into this discussion. Maybe we can sort this out, and both end up with the skis we need for travel, with some downhill.
I am very grateful for the setup that I got via Paul, and think they are perhaps the best-- lightest, fastest choice for the long, levelish multi-day trips- eg. 60 mile+ trips up the frozen road to Tuolumne Meadows, around, and back, but I am not yet the skier I need to be to control them on any downhill of 30º or more. My son took off on heels locked down, alpine skis, and came back to me saying: "$hit, Dad, it is just so much easier!" He was doing black diamond runs his first or second day! I watch Giselle, and others doing it, and it does look way easier. Giselle says her "semi-fat" skis are rated more on the side of AT Skimo, rather than straight downhill performance, and she both climbed up the steep icy slopes of our recent trip, and skied down with no worries. Yet her skis were (what were they K.?) something like 98mm in the narrow center. And the Madshus Epoch, I bought are just 68mm. ??? Your "Seth pistols" are: 128- 95-118 mm, correct Dave?

Paul's problem with them is their weight (which could be somewhat minimized by changing to tech bindings), and the amount of snow you will push through and carry in certain conditions, and what else Paul??? Maybe they will work fine in spring corn. Giselle advocates something like "at least 90mm in the center." Isn't that right Kristine? Her skis were lightweight, seemingly great on the downhill, and she climbed with them fine. Paul, did you take the 180cm Atomic Rainiers on your great tour from Huntington Lake to Lamarck Col? Were you happy enough with them on the downhills, or do you think you would have had more fun with wider skis? I don't know, but I sure want to make a choice soon! Check out his video of hot-shot skimo guys on their crazy/great trip up and down Mt. Shasta: they are using , short, fattish skis, and At bindings and full skins right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BeZLI9FiXw I'd like to ski down like that! BTW, I highly recommend this video, it's really well put together.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

so my setup I bought for skimo racing/resort skiing/backcountry day tours and backcountry overnights, are the hagen ultra 76 (112/76/99) weight with plum pika bindings 5.5 pounds for the pair, could have gotten lighter bindings but with my fused ankle I bought releasable both vertical and horizontal. As for boots I went expensive wanted a lightweight boot that could still preform downhill I suceeded in my opinion with the scarpa alien rs...I spent alot! As for skis and bindings skis were on sale and bindings full price about $1000 I bought everything at skimo.com and they were fantastic answered all my questions and had great recommendations! Skins I cut my own from buying off the roll also at skimo.com. I love my setup and think it works well for everything I want it to do, I have skiied all my life Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Oh and I got them in a 163 length
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Paul,thanks for the input.I havent tried any AT setups.I rented xc skis from eastside and they were great uphill and uncontollable misery going down slighy grades.Ski shops have all closed in LA.Its just snowboards.REI may carry AT stuff ill have to go thwre.
I just wan to do Harlens type of skiing.Im not looking to blast downhill,slalom or moggles...
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Harlen,i basically want to do day tours and the stuff you do on your trips.No steep decents required.Just mellow.
These k2 are 166 cm long and 95mm wide at bindings...
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Thx Giselle.I will have to try out skimo.
I think also i will have to try out gear exchange in bishop...
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Tahoe sports hub an backcountry in truckee both sell used also
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Dave, here's ASI's gear list for skiing the Wolverton to Whitney Sierra Haute Route. In general that's a good place to start. The recommended skis are skinny, which makes sense for spring when you don't need a ton of flotation.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.