Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by maverick »

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for the introduction. Looking forward to those round trip tickets to Nepal. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kmw79
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kmw79 »

I've just discovered this site, and I'm so excited to glean information from everyone! I've been backpacking in the Sierra since I was 8 years old. We (my 6 sisters and I) graduated from car camping, and starting backpacking as a family every summer from then on, and I fell in love! I was a whitewater river guide on the Green and Colorado Rivers in Utah, and a hiking guide in Arches Nat'l Park for just over a decade. I recently hiked the JMT, and am looking for more trips on/around the HST, or just anywhere, really. There's so much out there to explore, it's overwhelming! I sometimes get stuck doing the same old hikes over and over, mostly because they're gorgeous and familiar, but I would really like to branch out and find more hidden gems. I love hiking/backpacking solo, but don't mind hiking with small groups of like-minded people.

I'm excited to be a part of this group! Hopefully I'll be hiking until I die!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Still a lot here who don't introduce. Some for more than 6 years. Why?
ce814
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ce814 »

Happy New Year everyone!

I just joined and thought I would post a quick intro. My name is Chris and I'm hoping to get up in the Sierra more this year with my wife. We've done a few backpacking trips in various mountain ranges and explored the Sierra a little bit but not as much as we'd both like. Hoping to learn and share on this site.

Thanks for having me!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Chris,

Happy New Year, and welcome to HST!

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Aventura Mike
Topix Newbie

Post by Aventura Mike »

Hi All!

Not a lurker, but I just made an account here and am excited to browse the forums/maps and maybe even contribute! I've 28 and have been backpacking, fishing, and climbing in the high sierra religiously since I was 8! I'm a little late to the UL trend (I just traded in my old 6 pound backpack for a 2 pounder). I've hiked the entire JMT but mostly do 4-7 day section hikes to explore new areas. Last summer I spent a good amount of time in the backcountry with highlights being climbing Sun Ribbon arete on Temple Crag, fly fishing in the wonder lake basin, and backpacking through the "roller coaster" section of the JMT in the snow in early July.

Pic is on the 2nd to last pitch of the North Arete of Bear Creek Spire.
For summer 2020, I want to explore the dumbell lake basin, the SHR between Ritter and Lyell, and possibly the Ionion basin/enchanted gorge.

TR blog here: https://sierraexperience.blogspot.com/

Happy Trails!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to HST! :)

BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted

Post by BaneSierras »

Long term lurker. Both on the forums and thru hiking the Sierra.

Finally got my HST trip planned for this summer and have two friends (of varying experience but great conditioning) ready to join. One of the guys has hiked and climbed all over the Sierra and experience backpacking. The other is a multiple Ironman, no backpacks experience but he's training hard. I have done some climbing and backpacked the TCT, Half dome, and a number of overnight trips. Nothing like this and none of us have any snow experience but we are reading everything we can. Being honest and open to honest feedback.

Then came the news that we are expected our second child in July.

So we are now looking at an early season HST, weather permitting.

Lurking here to try to gain insight from y'all as to anticipated conditions and if it's even something we should attempt early June. We are willing to pay ourselves beyond our comfort but within our abilities to remain safe (see baby on the way).

Thanks in advance for any input.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

BaneSierras wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:12 amSo we are now looking at an early season HST, weather permitting.

Lurking here to try to gain insight from y'all as to anticipated conditions and if it's even something we should attempt early June. We are willing to pay ourselves beyond our comfort but within our abilities to remain safe (see baby on the way).

That's a doozy of an intro. You probably want to make a new thread. But the short version is that the trail up Kaweah Gap isn't traveled much in snow conditions. The trail is cut into a cliff, and when that's covered with snow, you just have a cliff. Most skiers use other routes.

The good news is that in early June, there is little competition for permits. So you can generally have your pick. Plenty of other routes to choose from.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted

Post by BaneSierras »

c9h13no3 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:40 am
BaneSierras wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:12 amSo we are now looking at an early season HST, weather permitting.

That's a doozy of an intro. You probably want to make a new thread. But the short version is that the trail up Kaweah Gap isn't traveled much in snow conditions. The trail is cut into a cliff, and when that's covered with snow, you just have a cliff. Most skiers use other routes.

The good news is that in early June, there is little competition for permits. So you can generally have your pick. Plenty of other routes to choose from.

Haha. Thanks for the reply. I have contemplated starting a new thread but assumed this forum gets bombarded with similar topics and requests and I would hear mostly to use the search feature.

Maybe worthwhile to start a new thread if that's acceptable.

Thanks