Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by c9h13no3 »

BaneSierras wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:13 pm
c9h13no3 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:40 am
BaneSierras wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:12 amSo we are now looking at an early season HST, weather permitting.

Lurking here to try to gain insight from y'all as to anticipated conditions and if it's even something we should attempt early June. We are willing to pay ourselves beyond our comfort but within our abilities to remain safe (see baby on the way).

Thanks in advance for any input.
That's a doozy of an intro. You probably want to make a new thread. But the short version is that the trail up Kaweah Gap isn't traveled much in snow conditions. The trail is cut into a cliff, and when that's covered with snow, you just have a cliff. Most skiers use other routes.

The good news is that in early June, there is little competition for permits. So you can generally have your pick. Plenty of other routes to choose from.

Haha. Thanks for the reply. I have contemplated starting a new thread but assumed this forum gets bombarded with similar topics and requests and I would hear mostly to use the search feature.

Maybe worthwhile to start a new thread if that's acceptable.

Thanks
Yeah, sure, you could probably figure it out by doing searches. But we don't get enough chatter here.

But yeah, June is shoulder season and usually peak snow melt. So you could be washed out to LA via the Kern, or have to climb a wall of snow on Kaweah gap. Or it could be mellow. But if I were you, if you want to plan ahead, choose a route with no river crossings, and no steep north facing slopes on your route.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

BaneSierras wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:12 am So we are now looking at an early season HST, weather permitting.

Lurking here to try to gain insight from y'all as to anticipated conditions and if it's even something we should attempt early June. We are willing to pay ourselves beyond our comfort but within our abilities to remain safe (see baby on the way).

Thanks in advance for any input.
I didn't see that you started a new thread, so I'll make a quick reply here. It really depends on the prior winter, how much snow falls. Check out this video. It shows some stream crossings. The 8:15 mark shows crossing Hamilton Gorge. It sums up a lot of what you might see early in the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaPw8EykiK4
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I would recommend you spin up a new thread.
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by BaneSierras »

Will do this evening. Thanks for the info so far. Looking forward to being more than a lurker
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Don't forget to use the search function.. ;)
ce814
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ce814 »

maverick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:18 pm Hi Chris,

Happy New Year, and welcome to HST!

Thanks, just got my first permits for the year! Early July entry at Piute Pass and I couldn't be more stoked!
OutdoorRandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by OutdoorRandy »

I’ve enjoyed reading the posts from on this forum for a while. I’ve learned a lot and lived vicariously though the posts. I appreciate the high quality and decorum of HST. Hopefully this is up to these high standards.

I started backpacking in the Sierra with my dad in the early 1970’s when I was about 12- or 13. Our family did a couple of Sierra Club mule and burro packs too.

When I was 14 I took the BMTC course with the Sierra Club. I was fortunate to meet a much older 20 year old, Mike. In the following years Mike, who could drive, and I did a lot of backpacking. Multiple trips each summer. Mike and I are still friends over 45 years later.

Before my senior year of high school I planned a trip from Tuolumne
Meadows to Kings Canyon. The trip was planned for 26 days but we did it in 22 days. Our transpiration was bus and thumb. Looking back I realize how lucky I was to have parents who let a 17-year-old just go for almost a month.

A year later, right after high school graduation I took my 15-year-old brother and his 16-year-old friend on a trip about of Kings Canyon. I was only 17 at the time. We went over Forester Pass and then back over Harrison Pass. We had no fear. We also had no stove, my brother forget it at home.

Though the years I’ve done about 450 days of backpacking. Most in the Sierra but I did a few trips in Washington and Oregon at various times. I’m also an avid cyclist and have ridden most of the eastern Sierra roads from Horseshoe Meadows to Tioga Pass as well as MTB’ing Mammoth and surrounding areas. In my younger days I spent a lot of time in Joshua Tree rock climbing (now car camping.)

A few of my highlights were a 2 week trip from South Lake to Whitney Portal visiting the upper Kern, a 13 day trip from Wolverton to Whitney Portal which included Lion Lake Pass, Milestone Pass and my first Mt. Whitney Summit. I also did 3 trips through the Ionian Basin.

I still get out for a trip or 2 a year and have a difficult trip planned this summer (hopefully but maybe not with CV shutting things down.)

My gear has changed quite a bit. I started with a Camp Trails backpack (ouch) but got a Jansport D3 when I was about 15. I used it for decades. Eventually I got an Osprey Atmos 65. I used that for about a decade. Last year I got a Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60. I’ve used it twice and really like it.

Another thing that’s really evolved it what I eat on the trips. It used to be Mountain House freeze-dried. Eventually our group started dehydrating our own scratch-made food. It takes a little more effort and fuel but we eat very well. I’ve had great reliability and loyalty to MSR stoves.

About 10 years ago I digitized all of my slides (3,000-4,000) on an inexpensive slide scanner. Those slides are my screen saver. I’m inspired by the Sierra every day and want to keep visiting as log as I can.

Here are a few photos taken over the years. Some were taken by my mates. The quality on some is not as great as what I often see on this site but they are a big part of me.

I hope you enjoy them.

Randy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi OR,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the intro, and photos. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Love those photos! Let's see more of them!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Paul writes:
Love those photos! Let's see more of them!
And we love those hats! No kidding, I really enjoy seeing those old time photos of you and your friend in the Sierra. I have to ask, did you also use giant cotton sleeping bags and "tube tents?" Back in the day when the one with the biggest pack was cool, Far Out!
Please send more pics! Cheers, and welcome, the Harlens.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.