Snow on the way.

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

skibum >>>"...Let me know when your in the area, I could help you with the camera. You might also want to consider the Grant Grove area for cool Sequoia shots. It's a shorter drive for you coming from the Bay area."

Sounds good. Lets keep it in mind for later this winter. Unfortunately I haven't carefully checked out locations to make runs at that actually have good numbers of giant sequoia trees along fall lines. Something I thought about doing, but that last time I was in either Giant Forest or Grant Grove, did not bother climbing up and down the slopes to nail something down. The area behind Wilsonia has what looks like some nicely pitched slopes on the topo but I'm not familiar with it. And there is one good sized hill east of the Congress Grove at Giant Forest that looks promising too. It would be nice to find a few slopes with lots of big trees for some distance down a slope. I'm a strong powder skier in dense trees so the idea of capturing some skiing right beside a bunch of big trees in fluff would be great.
JM21760
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

Hey Skibum!

Kirkwood Snow Report
Monday, January 2, 2006 - 12:30PM
alternate print version report
Weather
Temperature 26 °F Wind light
Skies Snowing
Today's Forecast - snow

Snow Stats (snow totals in inches)
Last 24 hours 26-38" Season Total Range 141-266"
Last 48 hours 38-78" Base Depth 78-150"
Storm Total 68-110"

Surface Conditions
powder (lots of it!), machine groomed and skier packed powder
70% Trails Open
29 Trails Groomed

Road Conditions
Hwy 88 West from Tahoe: Open, 4WD or Chains
Hwy 88 East from Jackson: Open, 4WD or Chains

110" storm total, that's, uh, lesee, ALMOST 10 FEET! Still snowing!
I'm guessing the Spur is going to close for avo control sometime soon.