2020 HST Meetup 9/11-9/13

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2020 HST Meetup 9/11-9/13

Post by rlown »

Old Ranger, Time for you to try and get a permit.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 2020 HST Meetup 9/11-9/13 goodnews bad news

Post by oldranger »

Ok as soon as my computer hit 0700. I selected the dates and book. got internal error message. By the time it worked only Sunday September 13 was available. Really bummed but I reserved that date for Group Campsite E. Sorry that was the best I could do. I'm planning on doing first come first served camping in the campground starting sometime earlier in the week after labor day. Will try and get campsite B-45 as there is a nice slot for my little travel trailer and it is close to the group campground. At any rate 4 other people could share that site with me though there would be no room for any other vehicles. However there are parking slots available just yards away at the Elizabeth Lake trailhead. I am so disappointed that I could not book the entire weekend as planned. I should note that there are likely to be lots individual sites available on a first come first served basis. At least last year there were at this time. If anyone has a suggestion for alternative location for meeting at the same time I am open to suggestions.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Could look at the group campsites on the Eastside of Tioga pass, or even Saddlebag lks campground.
There was a wedding group at Tioga lk last time I was there in mid September. It isn't TM, but close enough.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Couple of Alternatives: 2 alternatives close to TM. Pine Glen Group camp in Mammoth is available for those dates right now. nice option with lots of tables but close to Town. (and Marks residence) Green Creek group camp 11 miles up gravel road is available Laborday weekend.

Bowler group camp on Beasore Road is first come first served about 10 miles of gravel road past pavement. I could show up a couple of days early to make sure sites are established. No water here though.

There is also lots of dispersed camping along the Big Meadow Road with access to Jennie Lakes wilderness

opinions? Quickly!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Thank-you @oldranger for organizing this! I'm game for whatever you decide, but here's my two cents...

* I think just one night at TM group (Sunday Sep 13th) would still be fun, even if that's all we have. Location-wise, TM is so convenient and iconic.
* I love those dispersed sites along Big Meadow Road. I've spent many nights camping in that area; I'm a big fan!
* Pine Glen feels a bit front-country, but I'd still attend because I want to see ya'll.
* Unfortunately, I'm booked for Labor Day, but don't let that stop you from changing the meetup date if it's more convenient for lots of people.

PS - I checked Saddlebag Lake's group site; it's already booked. Sigh.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Flamingo wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:20 pm Thank-you @oldranger for organizing this! I'm game for whatever you decide, but here's my two cents...

* I think just one night at TM group (Sunday Sep 13th) would still be fun, even if that's all we have. Location-wise, TM is so convenient and iconic.
* I love those dispersed sites along Big Meadow Road. I've spent many nights camping in that area; I'm a big fan!
* Pine Glen feels a bit front-country, but I'd still attend because I want to see ya'll.
* Unfortunately, I'm booked for Labor Day, but don't let that stop you from changing the meetup date if it's more convenient for lots of people.

PS - I checked Saddlebag Lake's group site; it's already booked. Sigh.
I checked it too. Thinking it is best to keep the original dates. hope to hear from more folks. Just Sunday may make it hard for some folks. though we could still make it work for more days if some were in the backpackers camp and others choose to camp in other sites. if so we could gather in the backpackers camp say Saturday Night and sunday in the group site.
Mike

wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

I would prefer keeping the Tuolumne Meadows location and trying for a first come, first served regular campsite for Friday and Saturday night (6 folks per site and excess cars can be parked over by Lembert Dome after unloading stuff so multiple folks could share one if we coordinate) OR do a backpack trip that ends on Saturday so I can use the backpacker's campground Saturday night. I really like TM as a base for alpine day hikes and selfishly prefer it because it's an easier drive for me from the Bay Area than any eastside location.

I don't like the Beasore road site for this kind of meetup - it's such a long drive on a terrible road.

Another possibility is that as of this moment (4/15 at 11 pm PDT), 2 group sites are available for the entire weekend Sept 11-14 at Agnew Meadows. If the shuttle rules are the same as 2019, then the mandatory shuttle will end just after Labor Day so there are no hassles driving in to the campground. This is a longer drive for us Bay Area folks, but there are spectacular day hikes into the Ritter Range from the campground which would make it worthwhile for me.

-Phil
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

oldranger wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:11 pm Couple of Alternatives: 2 alternatives close to TM. Pine Glen Group camp in Mammoth is available for those dates right now. nice option with lots of tables but close to Town. (and Marks residence) Green Creek group camp 11 miles up gravel road is available Laborday weekend.

Bowler group camp on Beasore Road is first come first served about 10 miles of gravel road past pavement. I could show up a couple of days early to make sure sites are established. No water here though.

There is also lots of dispersed camping along the Big Meadow Road with access to Jennie Lakes wilderness

opinions? Quickly!
Green Creek is nice, especially by September (mosquitoes an issue earlier in season).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Good catch on Agnew, Phil. Down to 1 now. Maybe we should keep it at TM. Since 2 out of 3 respondents have stated that as preference.
Mike

grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

TM is a great choice; Agnew Meadows would also be fine.