Some Eastern Sierra Closures through June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Some Eastern Sierra Closures through June

Post by Lumbergh21 »

rgliebe wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:18 pm For those interested in Yosemite, there is a draft plan circulating right now that has not been finalized. This plan would open the park to day use only and reduce the maximum number of cars allowed into the park by at least 50%. The concessionaire would not open any facilities, but some NPS staffed facilities might be opened. This means no bus service anywhere in the park except for YARTS. YARTS will post a new schedule on their web site if this plan is implemented. Bathrooms might or might not be opened, although I can’t see them stopping anyone from using the pit toilets along the roads very easily.

Since there is no overnight parking or camping under this plan, it would leave backpackers with two choices to get to a trailhead in Yosemite: dropoff/pickup by car or dropoff/pickup by YARTS if the trailhead is on a major highway. There is no estimated date yet for starting this on an experimental basis, but it is estimated that Tioga Pass will be ready to open by mid June.
Well that sucks. I guess I'll be switching to Plan B, Marble Mts, this year. So glad I wasted money on a National Parks Pass.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

One can get into Yosemite from several FS trailheads to the south, such as Fernandez. Given the mixed message; trails are open, but you cannot access them, I may just have to go in stealth. A few quite obscure trailheads over there. Was also thinking of George Creek; trailhead but no trail. Just park down the road, which one usually does anyway because the end of the road is pretty rough. Also think it may be a good time to go in the east side of White Mountains; no permit needed. Or into Desolation from my daughter's house. I am a bit fed up with being "allowed" elbow to elbow with people in stores, and "allowed" yet not really allowed, where I can social distance with ease, just because arbitrary permit issues. :angry:
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:58 pm
rgliebe wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:18 pm For those interested in Yosemite, there is a draft plan circulating right now that has not been finalized. This plan would open the park to day use only and reduce the maximum number of cars allowed into the park by at least 50%. The concessionaire would not open any facilities, but some NPS staffed facilities might be opened. This means no bus service anywhere in the park except for YARTS. YARTS will post a new schedule on their web site if this plan is implemented. Bathrooms might or might not be opened, although I can’t see them stopping anyone from using the pit toilets along the roads very easily.

Since there is no overnight parking or camping under this plan, it would leave backpackers with two choices to get to a trailhead in Yosemite: dropoff/pickup by car or dropoff/pickup by YARTS if the trailhead is on a major highway. There is no estimated date yet for starting this on an experimental basis, but it is estimated that Tioga Pass will be ready to open by mid June.
Well that sucks. I guess I'll be switching to Plan B, Marble Mts, this year. So glad I wasted money on a National Parks Pass.
This dire scenario does not match what I have been reading, first on reddit posts by people "supposedly in the know", and then in this San Jose Mercury News article: https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/20/ ... th-limits/
That article says they will open some hotels and campgrounds (and the reddit discussion also indicated wilderness permits would be issued and backpackers' campgrounds would open) and anyone with a reservation for an overnight stay of those types will be allowed in the park. Everyone else who is coming for a day trip will have to reserve (and pay!) for a day pass on recreation.gov in advance. So I think once they get this going, backpacking will still be reasonably available. Still not clear is what happens to the walk-up permit quota.

-Phil
yosemite samizdat
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by yosemite samizdat »

This information is likely to be outdated and useless shortly, but for whatever its worth...
According to the Prather Office, Sierra NF is issuing wilderness permits under the following procedures: call the Prather Office number and leave a message providing name and details day before or day of your trip. Pick up from a box onsite when you drive in. Snow line is said to be between 7-8k. Road to Dinkey Lakes is not open but Potter Pass and Wishon Res are accessible.
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Does anyone have details about what schmalz posted above for getting Inyo overnight permits? What phone number do you call to check in to receive your reserved permit? Will you end up waiting on hold in a queue at that number to talk with a live person, or will the lecture be via a recorded message on that line? If you have two permits starting within one 14 day period, call you call, get one lecture, and receive your permit for both of them at the same time to avoid dealing with such a phone queue twice?
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/new ... EPRD743722:
People who have reserved permits can call up to 14 days in advance to have their permit emailed or printed and left in a drop box at the selected visitor center.

The remaining “walk up” permits will be reserved through www.recreation.gov starting up to 14 days in advance of the date of a wilderness trip.
Wilderness permit office info at bottom of page:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/inyo/passe ... recreation

Inyo NF visitor center contact info:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/abo ... rdb5195832
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted

Post by BaneSierras »

rightstar76 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:37 am https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/new ... EPRD743722:
People who have reserved permits can call up to 14 days in advance to have their permit emailed or printed and left in a drop box at the selected visitor center.

The remaining “walk up” permits will be reserved through www.recreation.gov starting up to 14 days in advance of the date of a wilderness trip.
Wilderness permit office info at bottom of page:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/inyo/passe ... recreation

Inyo NF visitor center contact info:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/abo ... rdb5195832

This is potentially the best news I've had all month. What would you expect this means for permits issues for June 1? Do you think we can call in late May or will we have to wait until the morning of the permit to get the permit?

Looks like planning could be paying off!
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted

Post by BaneSierras »

schmalz wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:18 pm Inyo National Forest Provides Wilderness Permits Virtually, Effective June 1, except Mt. Whitney

Starting on June 1, the Inyo National Forest will be providing wilderness permits through a virtual process.

The Eastern Sierra Interpretive Association staff will sell maps, rent bear canisters, and other products under a modified operation. Visitors are highly encouraged to purchase products online in advance of their visit at https://sierraforever.org/.

Visitors who reserve a permit will need to check by phone to receive their permit and the wilderness orientation, which will include:

Food storage/ bear can use

Campfire restrictions

Human waste disposal

Campsite selection

Pack it in, pack it out/ Leave No Trace

Specific guidance if their itinerary enters Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks or Yosemite National Park.

The exception to this is Mt. Whitney day and overnight permits, which are being cancelled one week in advance of the hiking start day. Please see Inyo County guidance. Mt. Whitney is a high use trail and where rescues and recoveries are common. Whitney Portal Road remains closed at the lower gate.

People who have been awarded a permit reservation for Mt. Whitney on the Inyo National Forest will receive a notice from recreation.gov that notifies them that their reservation has been cancelled and a refund have been issued. There is no action required from you at this time. The credit card used to make the original reservation will be refunded.
Thank you!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

“People who have reserved permits can call up to 14 days in advance to have their permit emailed or printed and left in a drop box at the selected visitor center“.... then it goes on to say:

“Visitors who reserve a permit will need to check by phone to receive their permit and the wilderness orientation, which will include...”

So I get the Permit via email, then I have to call and get the permit again or is the phone call for the 14 day version? Phone calls can be such rabbit holes.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
counselor
Topix Novice

Post by counselor »

I had a question about the walk-up permits. It says "Starting on June 1, the Inyo National Forest will be providing wilderness permits through a virtual process. People who have reserved permits can call up to 14 days in advance to have their permit emailed or printed and left in a drop box at the selected visitor center. The remaining “walk up” permits will be reserved through www.recreation.gov starting up to 14 days in advance of the date of a wilderness trip."

I interpret that as, starting on June 1, I can start reserving walk up permits via recreation.gov for June 1 through June 14. Does anyone else read it similarly/differently? I just want to make sure I'm at the ready when walk up permits become available as I'd like to do a weekend trip in that timeframe.