New Gear for this Year

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

New Gear for this Year

Post by robow8 »

All right, who's got some new gear that they're itching to use in the Sierra (or elsewhere) this year? Post 'em up. Photos earn bonus points.
I'll start it off. I've got nothing new. I think that my gear is pretty dialed in, and I don't need to replace anything yet. Although this thread may change that.
Let's see it!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: New Gear for this Year

Post by rlown »

I'm good to go. I need a new rain shell, but that's about it. Funny when you're going to take along a dog, the pack suddenly gets heavier. :derp:
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

rlown wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:58 am I'm good to go. I need a new rain shell, but that's about it. Funny when you're going to take along a dog, the pack suddenly gets heavier. :derp:
Or the wife. What rain shell are you looking at?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

My gear is dialed in as well but for cheap thrills I always like to experiment with optimizing the ultralight kit so:

-I am super-jazzed to start using the new iPhone 11 Pro on the trail. Yes, it is distinctly better.
-I am lab and field testing the new MSR PocketRocket Deluxe stove
-I am developing and testing several windscreen designs for the BRS 3000 stove
-I have tested and will be publishing shortly a roundup of lightweight rechargeable headlamps, and field testing three of them
-During the warmer months I will try out the 3/4 women's Neoair mattress vs the large Neoair or Xtherm
-I will try using the small packets of Sawyers Picaridan mosquito lotion vs the small 1 oz spray
-I will try out a new pair of Suncloud sunglasses. I have given upon wrap-around "8" curvature sunglasses, they just sweat up and get foggy too much for me, so I am trying flatter "6" glasses with larger lenses. They are also easier to pack.

Utterly fascinating details, no?
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

My new gear includes:

1. Patagonia Airshed Pro hoody. I'm hoping it will function well as a light mid-layer for summer mornings and windy passes/summits. My previous favorite is an OR LS Echo.
2. Soto Windmaster stove. May not use this until fall, as my usual spring snow trip or 2 hasn't happened this year. Got it on Sale!
3. MLD cricket tarp.
4? I'm debating on buying some La Sportiva TX2 approach shoes, as a replacement for my nearly worn out TX3s that I love, but I'm also just considering bring trail runners + real climbing shoes and saving a little $.

Cameron - I think you'll like the Women's Neoair. I've found a great option. Although last year I got the new Uberlite. It's a bit longer and not as warm but close to the Women's or reg Neoair. It packs really small! For me the XTherm is fall or winter only, but it all depends. I'll definitely be interested in reading your headlamps roundup.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Anyone have a good lead on a fleece jacket? Mine is about 20 years old, but works except the left sleeve (left handed when fishing) has lost its elastic. It's a pullover/anorak and not a zip. I kind of like that. I use it as my second layer just under the rain shell for warmth. It becomes my primary layer if the sun is out and still a bit chilly.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I bought some gaiters, they’re pretty awesome bushwhacking through Castle Crags manzanita. Used to wear shorts & knee high socks, but I think the shorts & gaiters combo is probably better for bushwhacking & wearing crampons.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Got the MSR PocketRocket deluxe for last summers trip. Way more wind resistant than my previous Snow Peak LiteMax Ti. However, didn't have much luck with the built in igniter. Overall, a good call for me.
Hoping to pick up a Patagonia R1 Air pullover later this summer to replace my expedition wt capilene top as my light weight midlayer.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
OutdoorRandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by OutdoorRandy »

I picked up a rescueME PLB1 and a BearVault 450. My backpack plans have changed this year due to the pandemic. I'm going to go solo on a few easy and safe trips thus the smaller bear canister (I already have the 500). The PLB was just something to bring as my friends and I get older. This year's trips will have a very low danger factor.