RIP Ozark Flip

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

RIP Ozark Flip

Post by ERIC »

JMat contacted Mark on Saturday to pass along the sad news that Flip passed away that morning, suddenly. He was up in the Redding area with his buddy doing what he loved to do when he passed. That's all we know at this time.

RIP, Flip. :(
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: RIP Ozark Flip

Post by TahoeJeff »

Very sad news indeed!
I went on a couple of trips with him back in the day.
One of his many sayings has always stuck in my mind: "I'm a fisherman who backpacks, not a backpacker who fishes!"
RIP
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
JMat
Topix Regular

Post by JMat »

ERIC wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:01 am JMat contacted Mark on Saturday to pass along the sad news that Flip passed away that morning, suddenly. He was up in the Redding area with his buddy doing what he loved to do when he passed. That's all we know at this time. RIP, Flip. :(
I can't believe he's gone. The world lost a downright good man last week. Always enjoyed and looked forward to our trips and BS'ing around the campfire afterward. He was one of my dearest friends.

Just to clarify... He had been fishing and camping with his BFF(as he called her)Sharon, when he passed suddenly.

Right on with the Right On, Flip.

Rest in Peace my friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

:(
My condolences to his family.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jason
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jason »

Wow. So sad. My condolences to everyone who knew him. We never met, but he replied to a couple of my posts and gave me some good advice.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Very large bummer.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Very sad news for sure. I sure will miss his posts here.

My condolences to his friends and family.
fishwrong
Topix Regular

Post by fishwrong »

Very sad news. I never met him in person, but loved reading his stuff. I read quite a bit he wrote here and elsewhere, and always got that feeling he was a kindred spirit. I sometime put people in two buckets, those who get it, and those who don't. From his writings, this man certainly did "get it" at least in my opinion. I don't know the circumstances of his passing, other than what I read here and on another site, but I hope it provides comfort to those who remain behind that he was able to spend his last day doing something he loved, in a place he loved, with someone he cared about. I hope I'm able to spend my last day in a similar fashion.

From an unknown friend from afar: God speed Flip. Peace and strength to your loved ones...
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

fishwrong wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:23 pm this man certainly did "get it"
Absolutely 100% true!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Whoa this is sad. RIP Flip. He was indeed a kindred spirit.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;