2020 River/Stream Crossing Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2020 River/Stream Crossing Reports

Post by maverick »

We'd appreciate any and all reports (with photos if you have them) of river and stream crossing conditions in the Sierra.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Crown Valley, Spanish Mountain vicinity

Post by c9h13no3 »

The main stem of Rancheria creek looked a bit tough to cross from the road at 36.9532, -118.9685, so we avoided the crossing at 36.9567, -118.9506 by taking the higher trail. All the following creek crossings had logs or were easy rock hops on 6-June-20.

36.9584, -118.9609
36.9711, -118.9294
36.9615, -118.9051
36.9606, -118.8984
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
torpified
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 2020 River/Stream Crossing Reports

Post by torpified »

The bridge across the base of Wapama Falls, 1 pm on 8 June:
bridge at base of wapama falls.jpg

The bridge over the Falls Creek outlet of Lake Vernon, 5 pm on 8 June:
Falls Creek Outlet from Lake Vernon.jpg

I'm not an eyewitness, but I have hearsay evidence that Tiltill Valley is a bit of a wade but a manageable one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
astro4prez
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by astro4prez »

Any current info available about the SF Kings in Paradise Valley? Is the log still in place? TIA
notis
Topix Regular

Cottonwood Pass - Crabtree Pass - Cottonwood Lakes Loop 6/12-6/14

Post by notis »

Rock Creek (06/12) was so low at 230pm, I had to double-check that I was actually at Rock Creek (my baseline was 2017). Calf deep at the trail crossing on a 5'8" hiker. No sweat. Log crossing 50m downstream if you don't feel like getting your shoes wet.

Whitney Creek at Crabtree Meadow Jct. (06/13) was also extremely low at 9am. Not even to my calves and totally mellow. A log downstream if you don't feel like getting wet, although it's almost more dangerous if you slip off this.
ClaireT
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ClaireT »

Has anyone forded West Fork Cherry Creek in Emigrant recently near the trail between Piute and Gem lakes, or near the confluence with Buck Meadow Creek? Looking for info on whether it would be doable for me in a few days. I’m 5’8” and only comfortable with crossing stream depths less than knee height. Thanks.
tomate4369
Topix Newbie

Post by tomate4369 »

hi

I hiked up the W Fork a week ago down from
the main fork confluence.

i saw at least 10 crossable spots -- even started a couple -- and turned back. i was solo and a minor jump w a group of friends becomes a major risk when solo.

it was also a cold snap, and the creek was low. (the week before it was scary to even look at!). a cleverly placed guyline would have worked, i suppose. but i didnt have the line for it.

be cautious: if you get your firestarter (lighter) wet, umay not be able to start a fire and dry out before dark. that was my big concern.

im heading in tomorrow a.m. from Bourland Tom 415 309 7259.

safe trails
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Tom,

PM sent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
compeanja
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2020 River/Stream Crossing Reports - Bubbs Creek

Post by compeanja »

As of last Wednesday, the 24th of June, the main Bubbs Creek crossing at Junction Meadows is a bit too swift and deep for safe fording.
On the way from Junction Meadows to East Lake, we found a fairly good crossing almost directly behind the bear boxes at the horse camp that is about 1/4 mile downstream from the main crossing. The crossing required some care but I would call it easy. The only problem is that we then had to bushwhack along the south shore for 1/4 mile to get back to the trail.
On the way back we found another crossing only about 100 meters downstream from the main crossing. using this allowed us to skip a lot of the most heinous bushwhacking, but the crossing was definitely more swift and dangerous. As you can see from the photos below, the second (closer) crossing is only the tiniest bit deeper, but it definitely felt more dangerous. Nonetheless we all got across without incident.

For reference both photos below are of the same hiker, about 6'2", both photos he is standing in roughly the deepest section of the crossing. As you can tell from where he is at in the river, the deepest section of the "Horse Camp" crossing is close to the south bank, meaning that it is slower moving than the shallower, middle part of the crossing. Conversely, the "Closer" crossing has its deepest section right in the middle of the crossing, about where the water is flowing fastest.

Crossing #1 near horse camp:
_DSC0095.jpg
Crossing #2 100m West of main crossing:
_DSC0177.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
notis
Topix Regular

Palisade Creek 7/3

Post by notis »

Palisade Creek: Around 2pm, crossed where it slows around 8440', on our way up to Adventurer Pass. Spot was chosen because further up--around 8540'--seemed a little too fast. Zero problems at 8440'.