Large print map for my wall

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rjszanto
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Large print map for my wall

Post by rjszanto »

I ordered a nice print from mytopo.com. It allowed me to select the area and I ordered a laminated 36" x 48" print to hang in my office. Overall, I was pretty pleased. My only complaint was the shading was different on part of the map (the blue of the lakes and streams was a different color - I think it was from stitching together different regions of topo maps). It was more expensive than I planned but it looks good.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

rjszanto wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:07 pm I ordered a nice print from mytopo.com. It allowed me to select the area and I ordered a laminated 36" x 48" print to hang in my office. Overall, I was pretty pleased. My only complaint was the shading was different on part of the map (the blue of the lakes and streams was a different color - I think it was from stitching together different regions of topo maps). It was more expensive than I planned but it looks good.
If I'm doing a route that covers a bunch of different topos, I get a custom map from mytopo.com--printed on tyvek paper for durability. Always been happy with their product. You can get variation in the visual style, because of differences in the original topos; it can be a little disconcerting when part of your map has metric contour intervals and part is in feet. But again, you'd have the same issue if you just bought the topos.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I use the Imus map mentioned above to track all of my trips. But for hiking, it's scale is of no help. For that I use AcmeMapper to print out very effective topo maps for my route. But I also carry along a larger map of the whole region (usually Tom Harrison) because I've learned that my cleverly sourced route maps often don't include that peak way over there on the horizon. I wonder what peak that is? grin
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

wildhiker wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:28 am If you are looking for a paper map, the Imus Sierra Nevada map may do: https://www.imusgeographics.com/sierra-nevada-map . It is at 1:500,000 scale (approximately 4 miles to the inch), uses shaded relief, and shows trails.
I have this one and mark trails I've hiked with black sharpie. I got it for $15 at the Mobil/Whoa Nellie. They have a bunch of maps framed on the wall in the hallway to the bathroom there. Only thing that bugs me is that it's got creases from being folded.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

wildhiker wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:28 am If you are looking for a paper map, the Imus Sierra Nevada map may do: https://www.imusgeographics.com/sierra-nevada-map . It is at 1:500,000 scale (approximately 4 miles to the inch), uses shaded relief, and shows trails.

-Phil
Phil I never thanked you for this info. I purchased a map from Imus and I love it. I bought 1 for a buddy as a gift and he loves it too. Thanks :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.