South lake road closure 2020

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: South lake road closure 2020

Post by SNOOOOW »

GGC23 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:50 am To Daisy's and Kyle's question above, I live in Bishop and can't think off the top of my head where you could legally leave a car for 10-20 days while also being in close proximity to an ESTA shuttle stop. There are endless roads just outside of town where you could probably park undisturbed for months, but then you have no way to get to the ESTA stop. You might be ok parking in the Vons/Kmart lot, particularly now that Kmart is closed, but that lot is clearly signed as no overnight parking. Personally, I wouldn't want to chance it. If you contact the Bishop Chamber of Commerce, they might be able to steer you in the right direction and/or convince a business that owns a parking lot in the area to make a tidy profit this summer by offering long term parking for a fee, like they do in Lone Pine for JMT hikers because of the parking restrictions at Whitney Portal.
DO NOT park overnight in the Vons/Kmart lot :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Just south of the White Mountain Ranger Station, there is a small city park. As I recall, there are some parking places in the back of that, away from the street. It might be worth an inquiry.

I know that my car was parked there unattended for about six days, but that was thirty years ago.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

June Update

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
JMTin5sections
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JMTin5sections »

Can anyone report on current parking conditions at Bishop Pass Trailhead? What is the impact of the road construction? 50% reduction in available parking spacer? 75%? I know it is recommended to park in Bishop and take the shuttle, but wanted to judge likelihood of actually parking at the trail head. Thanks
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

SNOOOOW wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:36 pm
Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:41 am Where do you park your car in Bishop if you take the shuttle for a longer trip, such as 10-20 days, without getting your car hauled away or ticketed?
There is a parking lot on Church Street Between Fowler and Warren Street in Bishop, just north of the Police Station. You can leave your car there for extended periods just make sure to stop into the Police Station and leave them your description.
Just want to reiterate that I've also had good experience with this. I did a SHR section last year from Mammoth to North Lake and needed to leave my car in Bishop. We parked at the police lot mentioned above. I called ahead (NON-EMERGENCY NUMBER...lol) and gave them my info since we'd be arriving outside of normal business hours. Dropped the car and walked to the KMart bus stop.

Before finding this solution--I don't see why you wouldn't do it, however--I found a couple places that were willing to host your car for a fee, such as Bob's Towing.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

We got to the overnight parking last Saturday 6/13 at about 9am. The parking was perhaps half full. We didn't notice any reduction in parking spaces.

There is no road work on weekends. On weekdays there is one way traffic stretch that takes about 20 minutes to traverse. That would make max delay of twice that - 40 minutes.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Per an email from Recreation.gov, the South Lake lot will be closed starting Monday, July 6th. Confirmed with rangers. Bummer it wasn't the two week notice as promised, but it comes from the construction company, not the forest. Inyo is still working on a parking situation somewhere along the road--they say likely past Parcher's about 3-4 miles down the road from the South Lake lot. Said parking will include some type of dirt lot, with the recommendation to take a couple of old mining roads or stock trails as much as possible to avoid the dangers of some of the road walk. Bishop Creek Shuttle is running. Not sure for how long the South Lake lot will be closed.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Overnight Parking Restrictions Starting 7/6

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org