Leavitt Meadow? Looking for low mosquito areas for early late July!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Berkeley
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Leavitt Meadow? Looking for low mosquito areas for early late July!

Post by Berkeley »

Due to a blowout at Emigrant and having to flee within 24 hours due to the mosquitos, I'm looking for information about some drier/lower areas off of 108 / 395 (closer to Mono Lake) that would actually be OK right now/in the next 2-3 weeks in regards to mosquitos.

1) Is Leavitt Meadow up to Fremont Lake relatively dry? I'm guessing it might be?
2) Any areas just south of there on 395 that have access to lakes that aren't as high or swamped with mosquitos?

Any help is appreciated; trying to set up another trip!

Thanks
BillyBobBurro
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Leavitt Meadow? Looking for low mosquito areas for early late July!

Post by BillyBobBurro »

Maybe someone else more knowledgeable will weigh in but here is my understanding of Sierra mosquito population levels.

Their numbers climb up and up once the snow melts until the dragon and damsel flies hatch. I've been in Emigrant right as the damsel flies emerge, they are very abundant and the mosquitoes are pretty manageable. I've also been in deep Emigrant during "early season" and the blood suckers drove me out. Clouds of them in the middle of the afternoon and eating dinner in the tent.

By the way, I just day hiked (sat June 27th) into cooper meadow from coyote meadow trailhead and the mosquitoes were pretty bad the entire time. Granted, I only used eucalyptus based spray and wore shorts. It sounds like you hit the peak.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Berkeley wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:28 pm1) Is Leavitt Meadow up to Fremont Lake relatively dry? I'm guessing it might be?
2) Any areas just south of there on 395 that have access to lakes that aren't as high or swamped with mosquitos?
1) Yeah, the Leavitt Meadow area dries out faster. Secret Lake might be okay right now. But once you get up the river, they start coming out. Upper Piute Meadow in August of 2019 was the worst mosquitoes I've ever experienced. I had to buy my wife a pretty hefty gift to make up for her suffering.

2) Mosquitoes & water kinda go together. My trips right now center around: day hiking, taking in lakes & streams in the morning when mossies are lowest, trying to be up on ridges in the afternoon. The ridge walk is a staple in the afternoon :)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I have been to this area many times, since this is a dry year. Fremont Lake should be OK, but if you go up to Harriet Lake or Piute Meadows the skeeters will be there. I have been at Dorothy Lake in mid July in dry year and during the day its fine because the wind blows but at dusk they come out. Anything over 9K in elev would be better in August. Remember damp places like Huckleberry Lake will always have skeeters no matter what time, from my experience. Unless you go real late in the season. Emigrant always has skeeters but it has big trout too!

Texan
walkawhile
Topix Novice

Post by walkawhile »

I'm also heading to Leavitt in late July. In years past it's usually dried out enough by then that the Mosquitoes are manageable.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Just drove over and then back on SR108 over Sonora Pass. Below 8k is drier in sunnier aspects than I'd expect for after a 70% precip winter as there was a hot spell in June. Generally even now drier volcanic landscape without much vegetation will have less mosquitoes so just look at Google Earth along with caltopo for prospective spots. Also on west side, didn't even have to put DEET on yesterday about Eagle Meadows road areas although a few were indeed out.
David_Caruso
Topix Acquainted

Post by David_Caruso »

I got out and did an one-nighter solo two weekend ago at the Corral Valley trailhead...its Carson Iceberg Wilderness no-quota. Camped back at Coyote Valley...almost zero mosquitoes and still plenty of water. It was my first time at the trailhead and I was impressed by the conditions and solitude. Saw one group of 3 all weekend.

Plus, it's just as easy to access as Leavitt...minus the people.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

David, how was the road to the Corral Valley Trailhead?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
David_Caruso
Topix Acquainted

Post by David_Caruso »

balzaccom wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:06 pm David, how was the road to the Corral Valley Trailhead?
It was fine. Its dirt but had been graded this season. A little washboardy in couple spots and two dry creek crossing.

I have an SUV but there was a Pruis parked at the trailhead next to me.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Excellent. Thanks
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963