Lillian Lake (Fernandez Trailhead)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MRrogers
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Lillian Lake (Fernandez Trailhead)

Post by MRrogers »

I hiked out of Fernandez trailhead with my 12 and 14 year olds June 12. We went clockwise. Our goal was Lillian but we got tired and stayed at lower lady lake instead. There was only one other group there overnight. We caught a few brooks there. Very scenic. There were wonderful Sierra peak views to the south from an overlook just before dropping down into vandeburg. The hike was uphill but it is a pretty moderate grade.
janky
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by janky »

By the way, we couldn't find the rafts. We sent our boys to look multiple times and I even looked myself. Maybe they are well hidden?
janky
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by janky »

Hey there. We read going counter clockwise was easier on Walton trail was easier so we took that route but TONS of mosquitos and still such a haul but we made it. 5 hours from Ferndandez with two families (4 boys total and the youngest was 9). Hardest hike we've done because of the drops in elevation along the way - you give up so much ground and then that last push to the lake was brutal. I heard Lady Lake sounded amazing. We stayed at Lillian and the trout were BIG. Every one I caught was over 12". Staniford Lakes had some great small trout fishing too. Fly fishing :)
MRrogers wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:55 am I hiked out of Fernandez trailhead with my 12 and 14 year olds June 12. We went clockwise. Our goal was Lillian but we got tired and stayed at lower lady lake instead. There was only one other group there overnight. We caught a few brooks there. Very scenic. There were wonderful Sierra peak views to the south from an overlook just before dropping down into vandeburg. The hike was uphill but it is a pretty moderate grade.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Bummer about the rafts and chairs. They are on the S side of the lake above the second campsite as you hike in, halfway around the lake.
Packers set up on the NE side of the lake. Still sounds like you had a nice trip!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

The rafts and chairs were there 10 years ago. Likely removed by now.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

But you don't know..