Tips? Lion Lake Pass to Glacier Ridge to the Tablelands

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Tips? Lion Lake Pass to Glacier Ridge to the Tablelands

Post by looks easy from here »

Why are you dealing with coordinating 2 cars instead of just adding 4 miles to complete the loop?
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kylekuzma »

looks easy from here wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:12 pm Why are you dealing with coordinating 2 cars instead of just adding 4 miles to complete the loop?
I'm coming from LA and my buddy is coming from SF so we're going to have two cars anyways. Maybe we will if we want to, but I've done that (beautiful) walk back to Crescent Meadows before and I imagine that after 4.5 days we'll want food and beer more than to see some additional trees
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have never been successful at finding Copper Mine Pass coming up Cloud Canyon. I have dropped down to Tamarack Lake and taken the trail up towards Elisabeth Pass, and left the trail with easy xc up the creek that drains from the lake just west of Horn Col (sorry cannot remember the name of it), camped about 300 feet below the lake then veered over to Pterodactyl Pass. I have also come up from Deadman, over Horn Col, into Tablelands.

I think the Big Bird Route is a lot most scenic. I have been up above Big Bird day hiking but did not continue to the top. It looked OK. The lakes above Big Bird and below the top are really spectacular. I have gone down the Tablelands drainages from the little tarns on the top above Big Bird- not bad.
druid
Topix Regular

Post by druid »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:39 pm the lake just west of Horn Col (sorry cannot remember the name of it)
Lonely Lake. If you decide to stay there, beware, there be marmots.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

druid wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:54 pm
Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:39 pm the lake just west of Horn Col (sorry cannot remember the name of it)
Lonely Lake. If you decide to stay there, beware, there be marmots.
I've camped at Lonely Lake twice (2001 and 2017) and never saw a marmot. However, both times I was there, a couple of bucks wandered into my camp area within 20 feet of me in broad daylight acting like they had never seen a person before and certainly weren't afraid of me. I guess they thought I was pretty safe since I had no antlers :D
-Phil
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

I crossed your Glacier Ridge pass west to east last year. We crossed I think immediately to the east of your red spot. The crux is on the west side where we had thick snow transitioning to slopey ledges. The descent to cloud canyon is very gentle free walking. Don't camp at your 2b, camp at lake 10919 just to the south of it. I haven't tried to traverse above the bottom of cloud canyon, the walk along the creek is so nice it didn't occur to me.
On your descent to Deadman canyon stay to the north of the outlook creek. It gets cliffy to the south. Once you're half or 2/3 of the way down you can cross the creek and traverse south.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

I should have said we ascended roughly following the outlet creek to the lowest of Glacier Ridge's lakes, 9914. We started south of creek and wasted time before crossing to the north.
Lacherita
Topix Novice

Post by Lacherita »

We're headed out next weekend, planning to come over Copper Mine Pass from Deadman Canyon and then head for Lion Lake Pass. Did you end up contouring? Or dropping down into Cloud Canyon on the use trail and climbing back to the pass?

From there we're headed to Nine Lakes Basin via Lion Rock Pass. Any recs for routing from Lion Lake Pass to Lion Rock Pass? We've been from Tamarack Lake into Cloud Canyon a few times, always take the gradual contour on the south side of Lion Lake Pass starting near the lake's outlet. Wondering if the more direct drop towards the east end of the lake makes sense in this direction.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Cheri
www.reasonnumber7.com