2020 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: 2020 Mosquito Reports

Post by c9h13no3 »

Zero mosquitoes on the Duck pass, Mammoth Crest loop. But a stiff breeze and we were done by 2pm.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

LLV/Mono Pass 6/30-7/3

Post by Harlen »

Trip from June 30 through July 3:
Little Lakes Valley to Mono Pass was mostly level 1. When we reached Mono Creek at the 10,000' level it was 2 moving, and 3 if stopped for any length of time-- they will find you! Up in Pioneer Basin nice breezes and cold enough temps. kept it to very light level 2. Happily, on the return to Mono Creek, and up the wet trail to Golden Lake it was a 1. The last day back around to Mono Pass and out LLV/Rock Creek was also just barely a 2. I'd say we really lucked out.
Last edited by maverick on Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Subject
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
akuntz1
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Ansel Adams Thousand Island Lake loop (6/27-7/1)

Post by akuntz1 »

6/27: Rush Creek TH to Clark Lakes - 2 (very windy)
6/28: River Trail, Shadow Creek, Ediza Lake - 2 (windy and cold)
6/29: Garnet Lake, Thousand Island Lake - 2 (cold and light breeze)
6/30: Island pass, Waugh Lake, Weber Lake - 2 (cool and light breeze)
7/1: Gem Lake, Agnew Lake, Rush Creek TH - 2 except a few forested sections were a 4 (much warmer weather)
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

4-July Ediza Lake to Agnew Meadows

Post by c9h13no3 »

Ediza Lake to Agnew Meadows - Hiked out from Ediza in the evening (5pm-8pm) and OH GOD I CAN’T STOP WALKING!

Was killing mosquitoes running my fingers through my hair at Olaine lake around 7pm. Every fisherman had a head net on.

In the morning, there were zero. So let’s call it a level 3.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

C9 writes:
Ediza Lake to Agnew Meadows - Hiked out from Ediza in the evening (5pm-8pm) and OH GOD I CAN’T STOP WALKING!
We feel your pain, especially Lizzie who was 8 months pregnant on a trip there. She had bites on top of bites camping by Ediza, and through to 1000 Island. She had a theory that it was due to the extra blood she carried for the baby, but we've been back and suffered mossies there again and again. She says she's glad you suffered too C9; it's ennobling. :nod:
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey C9,

I looked up the ennobling nature of suffering, and sadly for you found this:
...It is not true suffering ennobles the character; happiness does that sometimes, but suffering, for the most part, makes men petty and vindictive.
I guess you'd better stay out of the mosquitos.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

7/4 Tenaya Lake and Lower Cathedral Lake

Post by windknot »

Mosquitoes were a 2 at Tenaya Lake and Lower Cathedral Lake during mid-day (11am-5pm). Pretty light, and bug spray was sufficient to keep them from biting. Didn't stick around long enough to see if they got worse at dusk.
Immelman
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Sonora Pass / North Lake Loop 6/30-7/3

Post by Immelman »

6/30 Sonora Pass car camping just below the pass, not far from a little creek: 0 (it was a bit cold)

Hiking: North Lake loop, Piute Pass to Lamarck Col 7/1-7/3:

In general there are bugs above 9000, but it was far less than anticipated for this time of the year. I applied a bit of DEET once but did not need to. I get less bites than some people.

7/1 Piute Pass trail east of the Pass: 1 (some were present, not biting, a breeze and camping above the water helped)
7/2 Humphreys Basin during the day: 1/2. Would probably be an annoyance camping there. I spoke with folks who had 0 at one high lake camp and were swarmed at other lakes nor far away. Quite a bit more moisture on the ground west of the pass vs. east
7/2 camped Evolution Valley near the water crossing: 2+. This was the only time of annoyance on my trip. No DEET because I'd already washed off before bed and I like to sleep clean. Only time I put on the headnet.
7/3 hiked up to Darwin Bench & Canyon: 1 They were alive and well present but unable to bite because of breeze. May be a factor camping there
7/3 Up & over, and descending east from Lamarck Col: 0
7/3 North Lake trailhead & campground: 4, chasing me in swarms in mid-day, hiking fast, with a breeze. Not surprising at all for this area. You couldn't pay me to stay in that campground right now.
oddtiger
Topix Regular

7/3-7/5 Loop of Mt Brewer

Post by oddtiger »

It's a very dry year. I applied a bit of DEET and got a total of 10 bites over 3 days (all during fishing on face and hands), definitely not bad.

Road's end to East Lake: 1 to 2 at dawn. Not bad at all.
East Lake to Lake Reflection: 2+ during the day and 3 in swamp area
East Lake to Mt Brewer and down to Big Brewer Lake: 0 above 12000 ft but 1-2 in meadow area during the day below 12000ft.
Big Brewer Lake: 1, may be 2 at dawn, not bad at all.
Sphinx lakes: 2 during the day.
Sphinx lakes back to Road's end: seems to be 2 but I was moving fast so they didn't bite.
briani
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

7/2-7/5 Young Lakes/Roosevelt Lake/Conness

Post by briani »

7/2-7/5: Young Lakes, was a 2 on 7/2, but by 7/5 was a 3 and rising. Getting about 200 ft off the lake made a significant difference.
7/3 Conness: 2 on the approach from Young Lakes, but 1 above tree line.
7/4 Roosevelt Lake: 3, though the wind mostly kept them at bay during the day.