Missing Hiker Alert 7/5 Sierra NF (Unresolved)

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Missing Hiker Alert 7/5 Sierra NF (Unresolved)

Post by maverick »

Madera Co Sheriff's Dept:
7/5 (3 PM EST) Just a brief update for everyone with what we have learned. Her car is a Light Silver Saab 9-5, California plates. There are search teams out now and a helicopter. The campsite found in the Johnson Meadows area (between Beasore and Minaret Rds) with her belongings was quite disheveled. Things thrown about all over-almost as if her car and belongings had been emptied carelessly.
Please keep looking, sharing, and praying.

Need help locating a missing person in the Sierra National Forest

I received a call last night from the Madera County Sheriff’s office stating that my aunt’s camp, documents, and personal information were found in the Johnson Meadows region (between Beasore Rd. and Minarets Rd.) of the Sierra National Forest on Thursday. Family has not had contact with her since 6/26. We filed a missing person report last night, but are looking for help or any information that anyone in the area may have. I have included some recent photos from her travels in hopes that someone may recognize her. Please keep your eyes out if you are in the area. She may also be driving a light grey SAAB 9-5 if she left the mountains. Her name is Sandra Johnsen Hughes. Any information can be passed on to me or the Madera County Sheriff’s Office (559) 675-7770. Thank you!
Attachments
106668102_10100339145162695_1372692905410932415_o.jpg
106531737_10100339145117785_7395354225870988218_o.jpg
107093779_10100339145082855_9130259158324172972_o.jpg
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Update 7/7

Post by maverick »

7/7 (8 AM EST) New map added with car and location of initial disheveled camp/belongings

7/6 (9 PM EST) Her car was located off of Road 5S70, while the initial disheveled camp was located off of Road 5S13. They thoroughly searched both areas and conducted interviews the past two days, but have not made contact with Sandra. Furthermore, they have not had any additional reported sightings. Please keep looking if you are in the area and report anything to the Madera County Sheriff’s Office, Forest Service, or myself. We are so incredibly thankful and grateful for those of you who have helped us so far. We can’t thank you enough.
Attachments
107370496_10100339896801405_3432916639243966850_o.jpg

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Update 7/7

Post by maverick »

Her vehicle appears to have been involved in a collision with a tree. She has been sighted by others on foot since the vehicle was located. We are continuing to search for her with our OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) Team.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Update 7/8

Post by maverick »

“Your family is worried about you” - the words written on a sticker left on Sandra Johnsen Hughes’ car say it all.
MCSO Corporal Chris Williams organized and is leading a search and rescue in the Sierra National Forest for Hughes, who went missing while camping alone. Deputies and volunteers from Kern County Sheriff, Tulare County Sheriff and Fresno County Sheriff came to help, along with CAL OES and our own Search and Rescue Team. California Air National Guard is also assisting with aerial searches.
If you see her, please contact us. #searchandrescue #maderacounty #sierranationalforest #mountains #wilderness #sheriff #deputy #service #dedication
Attachments
107104508_3177183105702497_278162024827578992_o.jpg
107601609_3177183205702487_4233199976232619262_o.jpg
107901485_3177183305702477_8862679038323074865_o.jpg

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Update 7/28

Post by maverick »

Sandra Johnsen Hughes was last seen by family on 6/26.

On July 2nd, other hikers found her camping gear and supplies abandoned and strewn about near Johnson Meadows. They contacted MCSO to report found property. After receiving the report we contacted Hughes’ family. A missing persons report was made at that time.

On the afternoon of July 5th, her vehicle (a silver Saab) was located near the Chiquito Creek trailhead and campground. It appears to have been involved in a collision with a tree.

We have not towed it from the area in case she returns to it.

She has been sighted on foot by others since her car was located.

While we still have an active, ongoing Search and Rescue Operation for Sandra, that operation has been scaled down slightly in size.
After two weeks of continuous searching for missing person Sandra Johnsen Hughes, using mutual aid assets from all over the state as well as the Air National Guard for helicopter and overflight reconnaissance of the area, MCSO has released all assisting assets and will continue conducting search of Sandra through investigation and following up on tips.

We are asking anyone hiking in the Chiquito Lake or Chain Lakes Basin just inside the Yosemite National Park border to please keep an eye out for Sandra. If you see her please try to make contact and document your coordinates with GPS. Immediately contact the Madera County Sheriff’s Office or Yosemite National Park Rangers as soon as possible.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Missing Hiker Alert 7/5 Sierra NF (Unresolved)

Post by maverick »

Madera County Sheriff's Dept:
Sandra Johnsen-Hughes has been missing for over five weeks in the Sierra National Forest of Eastern Madera County. Deputies and volunteers from MCSO along with a multitude of other California counties, @cal_oes and even California Air National Guard have joined search efforts to find her.

This Sunday August 9th, two hunters saw a woman leaning against a tree along Road 5S01 near Beasore Road. She did not wave them down, attempt contact, or appear distressed. Upon returning, they recognized her from a missing persons flyer and contacted us. She appears to be visibly thinner than her last known photos.

Road 5S01 and Beasore Road are in the area of Chiquito Creek near Portuguese Overlook.

We are asking anyone who may be in that area to keep an eye out for Sandra. If you see her, contact us right away. Let her know her family is worried and we want to contact her so we can put her family at ease.

Please be prepared to tell our dispatch what she is wearing, where you saw her, what direction she was traveling, if she was carrying anything, had shoes on, if there was a camp nearby, etc.

This would be an appropriate use of 911.
Attachments
117703879_3289928671094606_7409821689407100051_o.jpg