Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by Iriscaddis »

@@mokelumnekid,
As I understand it and was told to me by FS, they manually update the permits on Mondays and it takes several hours. So keep looking at the page.
Example: you want an entry on 7/30. So the ‘window’ I guess it a good way to look at it, is within the 14 day window of the date of entry based on Mondays. In this case that would be Monday 7/20. OR, entry on 8/6, log in on 7/27.
astrogerly
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by astrogerly »

@Iriscaddis yep, same thing I’ve heard and noticed! I feel like my side job on Monday is refreshing the screen, but so thankful for the gov’t folks making it work! :) (they do so much with so little... I know from my job)

@mokelumnekid it will be posted this upcoming Monday. We just reserved permits yesterday for Aug 1. Yesterday they loaded July 27 - Aug 2. This upcoming Monday, they will post Aug 3 - 9. They do it manually, so there is no set time or order. I’ve been watching it for the past several weeks, so it’s what I’ve noticed. The refresh button is my friend...
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by mokelumnekid »

Thanks so much for that clarification regarding which Monday, truly appreciated...NOW once that happens do I grab it off rec.gov as 'normal' OR do I start calling Inyo FS? You are being very patient with these questions but heavens, it seems incredibly opaque!
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

@mokelumnekid once you make the reservation on rec dot gov, they’ll email you confirmation and a receipt. I’ve been calling the permit office (any location or the number listed on the website) about a week ahead of time. The ranger has given us the normal rundown and we get the permit emailed to us while on the phone (or shortly after depending on how busy they are). It’s sounds like there is now an email option, in place of calling the office, but I’ve not tried it yet. Might give it a whirl for our upcoming trip...

If it makes you feel any better, our first backpack this year was when they were switching over to the new process (manually loaded on rec dot gov instead of calling the phone number). I somehow got thru to a ranger at the end of the day who explained the new process that was being implemented.
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Iriscaddis »

@mokelumnekid , and @astrogerly ,
Just to level set once you make your reservations through the app then you have to email them per their instructions and then you will get your permits via email The site says it will be two days before departure but I actually got my permit today which is about a week before so The FS workflow process is probably maturing. Hope this helps. Have fun out there and wear your masks so the bears don’t get COVID (I apologize for the snarky comment- it’s Wednesday 😆)
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

@Iriscaddis Yeah, I’ve not done anything via the app or email yet. All my experience had been via the website and then calling to get it released (the email part is new since my last permit “pick-up”). Always a new quirk somewhere, but no complaints since the Sierra is my happy place. Hope you have fun too! Yep, always got the mask/gaiter handy and ready to go this season. (It’s okay - I feel ya on that one. I’m ready for the weekend since work and home and too mixed right now still.)
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by mokelumnekid »

@Iriscaddis and @astrogerly this seems awkward, I will be on the road and not even near email until a day before we want to start the trip with no printer option. So hopefully it comes in before that, but even so I'll not be near a printer or....

Okay so to review- I don't have the app and plan to do this via the rec.gov browser. When I see the dates come available I simply reserve them there and someone sends me an email confirmation which I am supposed to print and carry as hard copy? I generally don't carry my phone into the back country. Yikes.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

mokelumnekid wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:10 am ... I simply reserve them there and someone sends me an email confirmation which I am supposed to print and carry as hard copy? ...
If you’re not totally away from civilization, perhaps you could find a “shipping and copy store” (Fedex or the like) where you could print a copy of your emailed permit. Lacking that, try slipping a motel desk clerk $5-10 to print it for you. If these choices aren’t available, at least bring a printout of the permit reservation, annotate it with the issue date (and name of the issuing wilderness ranger), and take THAT with you on your hike.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

You reserve permit online at recreation.gov they email you conformation with your permit number then 14 days up to date of departure you send them inyo the required email in the correct form...it is now on there site. then they say it can take up to 2 days to receive your emailed actual permit that you need to print.Just did it it did take 2 days to receive actual emailed permit for next friday.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Looks like @Gazelle beat me to it. I was going to say I just emailed them yesterday afternoon for my trip on Aug 1. Got the permit a couple hours ago.