Lightweight Freestanding 1P Tent Recommendations?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Emmablob
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Lightweight Freestanding 1P Tent Recommendations?

Post by Emmablob »

freestone wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:50 am The Exped Mira 1. Weighs in at 2lb-8oz but I would call it semi free standing. In Ducy basin last month I thought it was going to be a disaster in the wind but when I got it all set up, it shed the wind well enough. All 15 and 20 Denier fabric, excellent zippers too, but you do have to contend with 3 poles and 4 pegs on the setup. I got it for tight spots with lots of buried granite. Top notch construction, much better when I compare it to my BA Flycreek Platinum 2 witch is actually a couple of ounces lighter.
Ooh, I took a look at some of the reviews and like the construction of the tent makes it seem like it’s better for windier conditions. Will definitely look into this one and add it to the list. Thanks for the suggestion!
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by tahoefoothills »

I like my REI Quarter Dome. It's not fully free standing, but it weighs around 3 pounds, maybe a a little bit less. You can sit up in it. I can attest to its durability in the wind and the rain. It's not too pricey, especially when you get their 20 percent off sale price and use your dividend, if you have one. Just a suggestion.
Emmablob
Topix Novice

Post by Emmablob »

tahoefoothills wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:15 pm I like my REI Quarter Dome. It's not fully free standing, but it weighs around 3 pounds, maybe a a little bit less. You can sit up in it. I can attest to its durability in the wind and the rain. It's not too pricey, especially when you get their 20 percent off sale price and use your dividend, if you have one. Just a suggestion.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check it out!
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

I have been using a LL Bean Microlight for a few years and I really like it. If you are a large person, the 1 person tent might be a little cramped but for me it is perfect. It is really easy set up and it has held up well. My last tent was a Big Agnes 1P Copper Spur and that was nice, but I like the Microlight better.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/90934?p ... ight&pos=2
Emmablob
Topix Novice

Post by Emmablob »

KathyW wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 pm I have been using a LL Bean Microlight for a few years and I really like it. If you are a large person, the 1 person tent might be a little cramped but for me it is perfect. It is really easy set up and it has held up well. My last tent was a Big Agnes 1P Copper Spur and that was nice, but I like the Microlight better.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/90934?p ... ight&pos=2

Thanks for the recommendation! I actually ended up purchasing a Big Sky International Revolution 1P tent used. Set it up in my living room and I’m a little in love. Can’t wait to take it out!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Emmablob wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:25 pm I actually ended up purchasing a Big Sky International Revolution 1P tent used. Set it up in my living room and I’m a little in love.
Didn't you have trouble driving in the tent stakes?
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

I was taking a hard look at the Big Sky Revolution, but it seemed quality control was a bit hit and miss judging from reviews. Ended up with the Copper Spur HV UL 1 and like it a lot after three nights out. Very well engineered tent.

I also have a TT Double Rainbow that I still love, but wanted a freestanding tent and a smaller footprint so went with the Copper Spur.

Would like to hear some initial review on the Big Sky!
Emmablob
Topix Novice

Post by Emmablob »

neil d wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:06 pm I was taking a hard look at the Big Sky Revolution, but it seemed quality control was a bit hit and miss judging from reviews. Ended up with the Copper Spur HV UL 1 and like it a lot after three nights out. Very well engineered tent.

I also have a TT Double Rainbow that I still love, but wanted a freestanding tent and a smaller footprint so went with the Copper Spur.

Would like to hear some initial review on the Big Sky!
One of my friends ended up getting the Copper Spur HV UL 1 and loves it so far. Will absolutely post a review the Revolution tent once I take it out :)
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Copper Spur HV UL 1 is semi freestanding sans fly. As Mathew wrote, looking at stars through netting is useless beyond just knowing the sky is not cloudy. Without a fly attached it does allow seeing what is going on outside that can be worthwhile if bears are about. It is not a good choice for being able to be set up in rain or worse rain and wind quickly versus a double wall freestanding tent. Any of the new generation lightweight tents will have less floor durability so in most situations Copper Spur HV UL 1 is semi freestanding sans fly. As Mathew wrote, looking at stars through netting is useless beyond just knowing the sky is not cloudy. Without a fly attached it does allow seeing what is going on outside that can be worthwhile if bears are about. It is not a good choice for being able to be set up in rain or worse rain and wind quickly versus a double wall freestanding tent. Any of the new generation lightweight tents will have less floor durability thus easily punctured so in most situations where rain might occur, one would be wise to use a ground sheet that adds more to the weight as in this 36x48 4 ounce Tyvek sheet I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E1QL3XG
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

SSSdave wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:25 pm Copper Spur HV UL 1 is semi freestanding sans fly...

Huh? It is definitely a fully free-standing tent, 'sans fly'...set it up just this way last weekend. No stakes needed.

The fly needs at least one stake to create a vestibule in front of the door...is that what you are thinking of?