Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by grampy »

@mokelumnekid -

I just checked the Inyo NF website; it says THIS:

“Drop Box Service
If you don't have a printer you can request a paper copy of your permit be placed in the drop box outside the visitor center, link to Permit ...“

>> see this page:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/pas ... rdb5144746
BardoPond
Topix Acquainted

Post by BardoPond »

Possibly dumb question as I'm new to the permit system: how difficult is it to get permits for two people on short notice (either via online reservation or walk-up) when you're flexible about trail head and date?

Specifically, my partner and I have a trip planned in SEKI beginning of August, and are thinking we could double down with some backpacking in the Eastern Sierra after that. Mid-week start is not a problem. I was surprised to find out many Inyo NF entry points are fully booked way into September.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

@BardoPond -
Click the link (to a Inyo N.F. page) in my previous post; it has lots of info. But some main points:
1. Inyo NF is definitely NOT issuing same-day permits, and probably not next-day ones, even if you can reach them on the phone. There are NO WALKUPS issued; the offices aren’t open to the public.

2. You may have some luck when additional permit slots (from the pool normally allocated to “walk-ins” - about40% of the total for each trail quota - get posted to Recreation.gov; they’ve been doing this about 14 days out from the entry date on a ( I think) weekly basis.

3. After making your reservation, getting the actual PERMIT issued is more involved. The web page (see link) states that you must request (by email or phone) for your reserved permit to be issued between 1 and 14 days before your start date.

4. It states that the permit office will then email you your permit, which you must print out and sign. If you don’t have access to a printer, you can state (in your email or phone request) that you’d like THEM to print it and leave it outside the office in a “drop box”.

5. Reaching the permit office on the phone is hit-and-miss. Some folks reach them in just a few tries, and some have called a hundred times or more before getting through.

It’s more difficult than in the past, but it’s what we’re stuck with.
BardoPond
Topix Acquainted

Post by BardoPond »

@grampy
Thanks so much, this is extremely useful information. I guess the only thing I can do is check the website periodically.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

BardoPond wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:12 pm Possibly dumb question as I'm new to the permit system: how difficult is it to get permits for two people on short notice (either via online reservation or walk-up) when you're flexible about trail head and date?

Specifically, my partner and I have a trip planned in SEKI beginning of August, and are thinking we could double down with some backpacking in the Eastern Sierra after that. Mid-week start is not a problem. I was surprised to find out many Inyo NF entry points are fully booked way into September.
The Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest office in Bridgeport is issuing real, honest-to-god, walk-up permits for Hoover Wilderness trailheads at a window on the side of the ranger station (otherwise closed). We just got one last Friday to backpack into Green Lake from the Green Creek trailhead. Very scenic area. Generous trailhead quotas. No line at the ranger station at 10 am on Friday.

-Phil
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Great Phil, I love that area too. I just did the Monday morning Permit search game and came out with Kearsarge Pass for August 9-- there were 22 openings there at one point, and it soon went down to 5. Cottonwood Lakes and Cottonwood Pass both still have 10 or more spaces right now! Good luck.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by mokelumnekid »

@astrogerly @gazelle @grampy Thanks so much for the help, today at 8:00 AM I was standing by with my finger on the refresh button and at about 9:30 my group came up. By early afternoon they were all gone for that five day stretch! By 4:30 PM my permit arrived via email. All the guidance is truly appreciated.

gb
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mkbgdns »

note: I'm talking about walk-up quota spots added to reservation pool.

observation: rec.gov, each monday, puts walk-up quota into reservation pool for the following mon-sun. thus, each Monday is available 14 days in advance only once: when the horizon shrinks to 7 days, the following Monday, another 7 days are added. no other day of the week is ever available a full 14 in advance, only as far back as 2 Mondays before. I'm looking for a Tuesday "walk-up" permit, which at earliest is available 8 days in advance. sorry if I'm not being clear. the inyo statement that walk-up quota permits are available for reservation 14 days in advance is inaccurate, but so much easier to understand.

caveat: they still are tinkering with the process.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

@mokelumnekid Awesome! That's great to hear! Have fun out there. I was helping a coworker keep an eye on things to see when his trail was loaded. :)
BardoPond
Topix Acquainted

Post by BardoPond »

Anybody know what to do when your permit application has been accepted, you've paid the fee, but haven't received a call from a ranger to issue the actual permit? I tried various phone numbers and email addresses (this is for SEKI). We're starting on Sunday so I guess they could still call us last minute, but I'm not sure if this is common.