TR: Royce Lakes 6/20-6/22

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sturdyoak2012
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Royce Lakes 6/20-6/22

Post by sturdyoak2012 »

Just came back from a beautiful trip to Royce Lakes via Pine Creek Pass with 4 friends of mine. We visited 3 of the 4 Royce Lakes, and they did not disappoint.

My trip report is on my website here.

I even made a short youtube video with some beautiful shots that I hope you will enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_BYyT4N2zA
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Royce Lakes 6/20-6/22

Post by davidsheridan »

Looks beautiful. I really like that picture of Royce Lake before sunrise. Thanks for sharing!
sturdyoak2012
Topix Novice

Post by sturdyoak2012 »

Thank you!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks Sturdy guy! I really enjoyed your film, especially from up around Royce Lakes. You created some truly stunning images of the scenery up there-- that reflection of Merriam Peak, and the sunrise, and, and ... Nice work! I think our favorite piece of film was the action shot of you or your friend dunking into the frigid lake!! I really wish you could've captured the soundtrack to it, we want to know exactly what was said??

sturdyoak:
After the rain stopped, Hagen and I took a short profanity-laced dip into the freezing water while the rest of them napped. Surprisingly, it felt really good afterwards.
Thanks a lot, and we can't wait for your next trip. Ian.
Last edited by Harlen on Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Sturdyoak,

After reading your TR, I got caught up in everything from your impressive cv to your past adventures in the southern Sierra. Congratulations on your amazing trip from Sphinx Pass to Longley, East Creek and out. Now that I see that you are comfortable with the off-trail traveling, I wonder if you guys considered making a small circle by descending into Granite Park from Royce Lakes? Thanks again for the trip reports.
sturdyoak2012
Topix Novice

Post by sturdyoak2012 »

Thanks very much for the comments! Leaving out the sound on that clip was definitely intentional, hahaha.

We did actually make a circle descending into Granite Park, though we hardly spent any time in that area since we were pretty tired and eager to go home.
dougieb
Topix Regular

Post by dougieb »

Hey, loved looking through your site. You guys definitely know how to have a good time. Keep up the adventures and the great trip reports! Love the Royce lakes area too. I did a similar trip but headed over to French Lakes afterward which were nice but windy at the time.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Thanks for an entertaining report! I'd never heard of the Coastline Paradox before -- but makes complete sense now that I think about it. Thanks for that tidbit, and for taking us along on the trip.
mckee80
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by mckee80 »

Thanks for the report. It makes me re-think our decision last year to go to French Lake instead of heading up to Royce Lakes. Glad you enjoyed the trip!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

sturdyoak wrote:
We did actually make a circle descending into Granite Park, though we hardly spent any time in that area since we were pretty tired and eager to go home.
Did you go through the northern of the two saddles? This way, past a nice big lake?:

gemini trip 153.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.