2020 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
esrice
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Minarets July 9-12

Post by esrice »

Route taken: Devils Postpile -> Superior Lake -> Nancy Pass -> Deadhorse Pass -> Minarets Lake -> Volcanic Ridge -> Minarets Lake -> Devils Postpile

Difficult section encountered: North side of saddle east of Volcanic Ridge was extremely snowed in and not safely passable without an ice axe.

Special equipment needed/used: Trekking poles

Possible alternative routes: Came down south side of saddle instead
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Pear Lake - Tablelands - Moose Lake - Alta Meadow (7/24-27)

Post by notis »

Route taken: Watchtower Trail - Pear Lake - Tablelands - Lake 11,200 - Pterodactyl Pass - Moose Lake - Alta Meadow - Wolverton

Difficult section encountered: No water in Tablelands except for existing lakes and bigger tarns. Little to no water from Moose Lake to Wolverton via Alta Meadow.

Special equipment needed/used: Mechanical filter would better than chemical IMHO.

Possible alternative routes: N/A
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Alta Meadow Water Availability - Seeking Beta

Post by davidsheridan »

Has anyone been in Alta Meadow recently?

Is the spring running?

Does it run year round even in drought years?

Thanks for any information.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Vogelsang Area water conditions

Post by c9h13no3 »

Rafferty Creek is a few puddles, but mostly dry. Fletcher, Lewis, and Florence creeks all had nice tasting water, but the water temperature was pretty warm. Not the refreshing snow melt you're used to.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
kdemtchouk
Topix Acquainted

Trail Run from Chiquito TH to Red Peak Pass

Post by kdemtchouk »

No running water between Chiquito TH and Lower Ottoway Lake. A few puddles of very dirty water along the way.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Kearsarge Pass 11/13-11/14

Post by maverick »

Posted on CHB by Mika LeBlanc:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: 2020 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Post by Harlen »

Thanks Mike; thanks Mav. Very helpful to see recent photos.

Looks like south slope climbs are still on with summer boots. Mt Gould, and maybe that mountain you mentioned at the top of the North Fork of Big Pine Creek,... called? The one with the excellent views. Of course, that would involve a long walk up to it.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

11/20-11/22 Meysan Lake

Post by maverick »

Posted on SNCC-TPP by Michael Bigelow:
Just got back from Meysan Lake. Camped at Camp Lake Friday and Saturday. The trail is dry and in great shape. I avoided the central chute by following the nasty rubble to its right. I bailed on LeConte at the waterfall pitch. No margin for error on a solo trip. Summited Mallory with just enough daylight to get back to camp. Meysan Lake was still open. Everything else, frozen solid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Mt. Whitney 11/21

Post by maverick »

Posted on Whitney Zone:
Jim Porter climbed the main trail Sat, Nov 21, 2020. The trail is really dry for this time of year. It will change drastically when the next storm comes.
Microspikes is the most anyone needs just now.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Fern Lake Near June Lake 11/21

Post by maverick »

Posted by SNCC-TTP by Heather Frewin: