SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Post by oldhikerQ »

Very nice photos, Carne. Hoping to get back to Cecille some day.
Thank you for sharing.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

388.jpg
Where is it? I think it's an odd angle on Banner and part of Ritter. Heading down into the North Fork of the San Joaquin.

377.jpg
Later on, same trip. The dogs crossing back to the Middle Fork of the S.J.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I'm not a photographer, just a guy with a camera. But in the Sierra, all you have to do is point & shoot.

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Shot the below on July 24 in the Convict Creek basin well above 10k. It is a 50% crop from a much larger 3 column 2 row 9800 by 8100 pixel composite image with a 30mm on my A6000. One I'll show a downsized full image of if requested. A shallow tarn in shadows while the talus slope above was in early morning sunshine during nearly calm air. Capture while waters are in shadows allows a more saturated mirroring effect. The rusty rock was a Paleozoic Era metamorphic geology bedrock area poking up through surrounding granite talus that slid from higher up. I have much more to post process from that 6 day backpack that will need to wait till I return from my Little Lakes Valley tripnext week. Mouse select to magnify.

SP09218-09295-3x2v-cr1.jpg
Harrison
Topix Newbie

Post by Harrison »

The Milky Way rising over Isosceles Peak, Dusy Basin, August 2015.
DSC_0335.JPG
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

SY02003-02051-4x1vy.jpg
Mt Dade, Treasure Peak, Mt Abbot, Mt Mills from a shallow no name grassy pond in the Rock Creek basin, August 6, 2020, my last morning of a 4 day backpack. Downsized for web from a 4 column 1 row focus stack stitch blend 12,700 by 6000 pixels.

SY01702-01722-3x1vy.jpg
Bilateral split mirror reflection on Dade Lake with Treasure Peak left and Mt Starr center, August 5, 2020. Calm waters lasted just long enough to get the rapid fire 49 shots in. Downsized for web from a 3 column 1 row focus stack stitch blend 9600 by 6000 pixels. No trout here. At ~11550 strenuous location to reach with a heavy pack with little shade at any of the several rock corral camp spots.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Dave:
Downsized for web from a 3 column 1 row focus stack stitch blend 9600 by 6000 pixels...
Yes, yes, a very sharp and excellent camera, and impressive "3column1rowfocusstackstitchblend with so many pixels..., and all that, but though you might just barely get away with the small pyramidal rock far right as an interesting detail, the too bright rock to the left of it is in my semi-educated opinion an obvious distraction and needs to be photo-shopped down to the same tone as the underwater rock to it's left, or the shot is ruined. Sorry, for the brutal critique, but composition is composition, and distractions are distractions. Note, many of my current point and shoot images also leave a lot to be desired, but I don't pretend any expertise or pro quality to my documentary images. I was once a serious photographer, and recognize good quality when I see it. Keep at it Dave.

p.s. your first shot of the pond is nice.
Last edited by Harlen on Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

c9h13no3 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:40 am I'm not a photographer, just a guy with a camera. But in the Sierra, all you have to do is point & shoot.
Such a true statement :drinkers:
Garnet Sunrise.jpg
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

A recent camp of mine in Desolation. Beautiful but crowded
Tahoe View.jpg
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
fiti
Topix Novice

Post by fiti »

Last year in August on trail to Mount Whitney. After that I went JMT NOBO, wonderful experience.