Another Broken Toe Thread...

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Another Broken Toe Thread...

Post by rayfound »

Will add the doc basically said activity/etc... won't have any impact on outcomes anymore, so I can do whatever I can tolerate pain wise... which seems to be pretty good so far: last weekend we hiked, did some rock-wall climbing, and mountain biking... and my toe felt mostly fine throughout.

So It is still broken and sensitive, but I am optimistic it won't be a major issue long term.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the updates. Glad to hear you're already able to do activities like hiking, biking, and climbing. Bouldering especially puts a lot of weight on the big toe, so that must be a good sign that you're on the quick road to full recovery if you can already do that.
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

windknot wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:12 pm Thanks for the updates. Glad to hear you're already able to do activities like hiking, biking, and climbing. Bouldering especially puts a lot of weight on the big toe, so that must be a good sign that you're on the quick road to full recovery if you can already do that.
Yeah, I didn't do much on the climbing wall since I don't have much confidence in it yet, and there's quite a bit of sensitivity on the tip of it, in addition to a totally MIA nail. but still, I am feeling a LOT more optimistic about outlook than I was a couple weeks ago. Basically updating here for the sake of giving others an idea of what they might be able to expect.

As for hiking, its the little stumbles and stubbing that presents issues now, normal well executed steps is basically 100% fine. Same for biking.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

How's the toe doing?
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

Toe is fine. Mountain biking a lot, no pain basically ever. Hiked 12mi/2000ft on saturday no issues,

My follow up xrays indicated the bone didn't ever heal, so it is what it is, but isn't presenting any issues now aside from still only being about 60% nail covered.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've lost so many nails. They aren't the problem.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

rayfound writes:
Toe is fine. Mountain biking a lot, no pain basically ever. Hiked 12mi/2000ft on Saturday no issues,

My follow up xrays indicated the bone didn't ever heal, so it is what it is, but isn't presenting any issues now aside from still only being about 60% nail covered.
That's good news, all the best this summer. Do you think you will ever do this again? Maybe not the ball-hitch thing, but you might drop something else on another toe? :) [Sorry, I know it's not funny.]
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.