Not Dead Yet

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Not Dead Yet

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Hey forum people! Long time no post on here! The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated!

The last few years life has been so busy that finding time to sit on my computer and post routes and do much of anything on it is few and far between. Made more funny by the fact 2 years ago I spent 4000$ on a gaming rig PC that now mostly collects dust. But I am alive and well and still exploring the Sierra. Naturally what I have left of it to explore.

I have had to resign myself to the typical working, family mans schedule of doing only a couple week long trips a year. Things have certainly changed from wandering 130 days at a time in the Sierra with not a care in the world and not even caring if I die to having a home, a fiance, two step kids and even a son of my own:

AlpineMike and I are still wandering! And I know i'll finish those trail reports some day! ](*,) ](*,)
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Not Dead Yet

Post by rlown »

Kudos!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Good to hear you from you. Yes we all go through various stages in our life, but it's clear the High Sierra will always be a part of your life, even if it won't be the tune of >100 days up there at a time. And someday that little guy might be your hiking buddy, too.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

You'll be back soon but carrying a sizable tent keeping your adventures less epic.

Also was wondering where Buck Forester meeting a similar life change has gone and with a search noticed given his head start, is going to need an even larger tent.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Congratulations on all the good things in your life!
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Hey, congrats. We all have different chapters in our lives. Sounds like yours are good chapters.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

That's a very cute kid. Any time you start feeling as if you've lost something, pull out that photo and look at it...that's a whole new world of adventure.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Nice to hear from you Rogue. It seems life has done a 180 from when you first came here not caring whether you lived or died. Welcome to fatherhood. The source of the greatest feeling of love and exhaustion combined.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Congratulations!

What parts of High Sierra you haven't explored yet? Somewhere north, I guess.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah my life has changed plenty lol And owning a home that needs work has me constantly doing something.

You know there are a handful of areas that are common yet I havent made it out there yet like Miter Basin. And yeah North for sure. All my travel has been South of Emigrant Wilderness and I only went there that one time in 2013.

AlpineMike and I get out for a couple good trips each year. We have allot lined up but since he is an SPS climber allot is about peak bagging.

We went out to the Unitas of northern Utah a few weeks back trying to escape the smoke but was no luck. Still had smoke there.