2020 Fire/Smoke Impact Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
SashatheBear
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2020 Fire/Smoke Impact Reports

Post by SashatheBear »

Any reports on air quality from anyone on the Rae Lakes region? We have a permit and are debating whether to go.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Any reports on air quality from anyone on the Rae Lakes region? We have a permit and are debating whether to go.
No webcams that far in Sashathebear.

Check:https://fires.airfire.org/outlooks/Sout ... ra-Sequoia

Here is the shot from the Giant Forest webcam today:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

SQF Complex Fire 9/11 Update

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

SashatheBear wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:49 am Any reports on air quality from anyone on the Rae Lakes region? We have a permit and are debating whether to go.
#-o
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
kdemtchouk
Topix Acquainted

Post by kdemtchouk »

SashatheBear wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:49 am Any reports on air quality from anyone on the Rae Lakes region? We have a permit and are debating whether to go.
I had a permit out of Road's End starting today. Drove there & back to confirm what the air quality was like and decided to turn around and go home before the road really dropped into Kings Canyon. Based on the PM2.5 readings in SEKI coming down in recent days, I figured there might be a shot, but I was disappointed:
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/air/curren ... h-mountain

Visibility was quite low, no blue sky to be seen, and there was a definite smoke odor in the air.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Creek Fire Forces Hikers to Cross Sierra

Post by SweetSierra »

MatoKawipu
Topix Newbie

Post by MatoKawipu »

My wife and I were 6 days into a planned 11-day trip out of Courtright Res, mostly off trail after the first night (Fleming Lake), when we saw the pyrocumulonimbus explode behind us from Confusion Pass on Saturday. A truly sphincter-tightening sight. We continued into Blackcap Basin as the fire appeared to be moving away from us, but the increasing smoke told us to skedaddle. Likewise our buddy who'd loaned us his Garmin inReach let us know the beast was making its own weather and that we might be cut off. Monday we came all the way out 20+ miles through the Mordor-gloom to find the car covered in ash at 11 PM and a note from Fresno County sheriff telling us our evac route down to Fresno via Pine Flat Res (as our buddy had indicated).

First time carrying electronics, won't be the last--not for navigation (I'm a map- and read-the-terrain guy) but for emergency notification like this. Scary enough as it was, but tough to imagine doing it without any knowledge--big props to my buddy for keeping tabs on us. Also can't imagine what was going through the mind of the guy we saw with two small dogs at 4PM Monday, carrying a huge pack, going IN after having skirted the roadblocks!

One guess what's on my list for my upcoming 64th birthday...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That seems like quite a scary experience, glad to read that you all made it out safely, thank you for sharing that MatoKawipu!

jillsocean
Topix Acquainted

Re: Dinkey Lakes (Update, it is called the Bulldog Fire)

Post by jillsocean »

maverick wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:00 pm A rouge outbreak from the Cliff Fire seems to have started 9/9 according to the Caltopo Map, between Courtright and Dinkey Lakes, and the fires outer perimeter has reached the small lake just southeast of Cliff Lake. :(
This hurts! I can't find any info on the Bulldog Fire. I'm curious if the fire suppression changes once the fire is in a Wilderness Area. Does anyone know?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jillsocean,

The fire was moving north and staying east of the small lake when I checked yesterday, if it continues on the present route, it will not effect Dinkey Lakes, but this depends on the winds, topography, and other factors.
The fire has advanced on its southern flank and is getting close to Nelson Lake.