Increase photo size limit

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Increase photo size limit

Post by c9h13no3 »

Resizing photos on my phone is kinda a pain. I'd upload more if the size limit was more inline with most smartphone photos.

Course, I don't pay for your hosting either :-P. Maybe a widget that easily resizes uploaded photos.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Increase photo size limit

Post by rlown »

Just wondering, what limit do you want? You didn't specify.. Pretty sure 5Mb would be bad and basically useless given the venue. I don't seem to see a problem.
Change your camera settings maybe?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

rlown wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:06 pm Change your camera settings maybe?
Um, no.

No app of any worth makes it harder for users to upload content. If you don't want to host the 5 meg file, downsize it once it's uploaded. Maybe you keep the Photography section with different rules so people can upload 3 meg photos, but I'd say 75% of the time I think about uploading a pic, I decide it's not worth it to go resize it.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok then, the pic probably isn't worth it. All the professional photographers downsize their pics to post here. What makes you special?
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Unfortunately I haven't yet found a simple integratible solution to what you're asking for. Before your time on an earlier version of the site, we had a member albums feature that performed a similar resizing service and as it turns out that add-on was what opened up a vulnerability that lead to the site being hacked. On the phpBB forums many users have asked for an official extension that provides this functionality fully supported and approved by phpBB in order to reduce risk. The max file size on here is currently 2.5MB which is about as high as I'm willing to go due to hosting costs. Until a more permanent solution is found, you might check this site out https://bulkresizephotos.com/en. It took me literally 5 seconds to batch resize 10 photos. Drag and drop.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

ERIC wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:49 am you might check this site out https://bulkresizephotos.com/en. It took me literally 5 seconds to batch resize 10 photos. Drag and drop.
Yeah, it's a bit slower on the phone, but probably fast enough. Doing trip reports on the desk top was always worth it, but throwing up a quick photo of say, the trash I picked up usually doesn't seem worth the extra clicks.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Yeah, I get it. Wish I could provide an easier solution.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

There a number of free options along of the lines of Flickr and Imugr that don't have size restrictions. You can upload there and then just embed the photo in your post. I actually prefer to be in control of resizing instead of leaving it up to the whatever site I'm posting to as sometimes sites can get pretty aggressive with the resizing routine which can lead to artifacts (eg, Facebook)
-------------
Dave | flickr
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

SirBC wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:05 pm There a number of free options along of the lines of Flickr and Imugr that don't have size restrictions. You can upload there and then just embed the photo in your post. I actually prefer to be in control of resizing instead of leaving it up to the whatever site I'm posting to as sometimes sites can get pretty aggressive with the resizing routine which can lead to artifacts (eg, Facebook)
All true. I guess the only argument I'm interested in making for uploading here, is two part. 1) a number of the off-site options make it difficult and sometimes impossible to "hotlink" images. They also sometimes change the linking method so that older posts here with hotlinked photos are broken. And 2), some of these sites go away, photos are deleted or accounts go away, resulting in the same thing.

As long as HST is up, any photo posted directly to HST remains visible and accessible maintaining the full integrity of the original post.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

There is a bandwidth reason smaller Internet web sites don't do image resizing and rather push that back onto members. If one is not performing downsizing on a phone or any computer and then uploading to a web site, those raw from camera megabytes must still route across physical Internet channels. The bandwidth between one's device and a target site is limited by the most restrictive part of the pipe just like with water in plumbing. If someone is uploading a bunch of 20mp images from their fancy smartphone, that can impact every other person trying to access the HST website.

https://www.popsci.com/story/diy/resize ... art-phone/

There are many apps and websites that will perform the downsizing function for smartphone users and many also have other features like cropping people ought to learn for their own good. One can either download an app to do so resident on one's smartphone or send files to an online site that will do so, however the former is faster especially for multiple images because just sending images to a website requires putting all those bytes into the web packet streams.

Another issue is smartphone camera pixel sizes have long been a marketing gimmick, just like with compact digital cameras, even though a high pixel image sensor may be inside. What one actually ends up with is far lower resolution versus the same sensor size in a high end DSLR with quality lenses. Thus much wasted bandwidth would be sent needlessly.