YOSAR Rattlesnake Incidents 8/27-8/29

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

YOSAR Rattlesnake Incidents 8/27-8/29

Post by maverick »

YOSAR:
A few weeks ago, within the span of three days, two rattlesnake bites—and subsequent rescues—occurred in Yosemite’s wilderness.

I.

The first rattlesnake bite was reported on Thursday, August 27. At 8:50 am, the Yosemite Emergency Communications Center (ECC) received notification from a national emergency coordinating center that a backpacker, located in the Glen Aulin area, had used their satellite messenger device on behalf of another hiker to request assistance for a “snake emergency.” The full story emerged as the backpacker and responding ranger in Tuolumne Meadows exchanged text messages: the day prior, around 2:30 pm, a man was bitten by a rattlesnake while fishing barefoot in the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. The subject, in his mid-30s, had stepped onto a rock, causing it to shift under his weight, and suddenly a rattlesnake—apparently underneath the rock—bit him on his left foot.

The subject was backpacking with his wife, and, with no one else around, they tried hiking out together to get help. They soon realized that hiking out wasn’t an option for the subject. Before setting off alone to seek help, the subject’s wife had the presence of mind to pin their location on her phone; later, being able to report the exact coordinates to the park rescuers made it easier for the responding California Highway Patrol (CHP) helicopter, H40, to locate the subject (Yosemite’s contract helicopter, H551, was on a fire assignment at Point Reyes National Seashore at the time of both rattlesnake incidents). At some point, another backpacker had happened upon the couple and stayed with the subject while the subject’s wife started hiking. She hiked through most of the night, taking a short nap when she was overcome by fatigue, then continued until she found a backpacker with the satellite messenger device. Aside from the coordinates, the subject’s wife also provided a thorough and accurate description of the subject’s clothing and equipment.

CHP’s H40 inserted one of their crewmembers by hoist (a metal cable that is attached to a motorized drum, used to lower and raise loads) to the subject’s location. Once the crewmember put a harness on the subject, H40 returned to the scene, hovered overhead while the subject and crewmember together were hoisted up to the helicopter, and then flew to the park’s helibase at Crane Flat. The subject was transferred to a park ambulance where a paramedic treated him for dehydration, nausea, and pain. He then was transferred to an air ambulance, which flew him to a Modesto hospital. The subject received two doses of the antivenom CroFab and is expected to be discharged from the hospital today or tomorrow (more than a week after being bitten).

II.

“We were on the trail, hiking by ankle-high shrubs, when out of the blue—with no rattle, no hiss, no sound whatsoever—a snake struck.” —Recollection of hiking companion

On Saturday, August 29 at 12:27 pm, the ECC received a 911 call reporting a snake bite to a hiker’s left knee. The subject and his two hiking companions were a few miles up the Chilnualna Falls trail in Wawona, hiking through steep terrain. The snake struck the hiker’s knee (versus the lower leg or ankle, which is more common) apparently because the trail was level with a steep uphill slope on the left side. After he realized he had been bit, the subject saw the snake, including a rattle on its tail, making its way on and off the trail and heading downhill towards his hiking companions. The fellow hikers backed up until the snake left the area, and then approached the subject. They helped him hop to a flat place to sit down; another hiker reached the scene, had cell service, and called 911. The subject’s friends and other bystanders discussed whether to apply a tourniquet; they decided to put one on the subject’s left leg above the wound. A few minutes later, once they were connected by phone to a park ranger-paramedic, they were advised to immediately remove the tourniquet. Applying a tourniquet to a limb that has been envenomated blocks blood flow and can lead to tissue damage (for the same reason, do not apply ice to a rattlesnake bite).

A two-pronged rescue response was initiated. The Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks contract helicopter, H552, was in Yosemite and made a reconnaissance flight to locate the subject. Both the helicopter rescuers and the subject’s hiking companions pointed out later that the bright red t-shirts two of the hikers were wearing made it easy to spot the subject and his companions from the air. Meanwhile, a ground team began hiking up the trail. They arrived on scene as the helicopter, on the ground at the Wawona golf course a few miles away, was rigging for a short-haul rescue (personnel are suspended underneath a helicopter by a rope). The ground team relayed the subject’s condition to the two park ranger-medics who would be short-hauled to the scene: the subject was pale and sweating, his blood pressure was low, his heart rate was fast, and he reported feeling dizzy and nauseated. Soon after, the H552 began the short-haul mission, inserting the two rescuers to the scene. They put the subject in a specialized, robust harness. H552 then returned to the scene, hovered overhead while the three attached themselves to the line, and short-hauled the team to the Wawona golf course.

The subject was transferred directly to an air ambulance, who treated him for dehydration, nausea, and pain (sound familiar?) en route to a hospital in Modesto. Six days later, the subject is still hospitalized and expects to be discharged in another day or two. He has received four doses of CroFab, and reports that the swelling in his leg has actually become worse and the range of motion for his knee is limited.

This summer season, there has been a noticeable uptick in rattlesnake bites in the greater Yosemite region. These two cases provide a good opportunity to review advice for how to handle an encounter with a rattlesnake:

- Keep your distance. Rattlesnakes can strike only a distance equal to half their own length.

- Watch where you step or reach with your hands. Use extra care when opening and closing food lockers.

- Stand still if you think you hear a snake. As soon as you’ve located the snake, move away.

- Beware of snakes without a rattle—baby rattlesnakes don’t have rattles and adult rattles can break off.

And, finally, some do’s and don’ts if you are bitten by a rattlesnake:

DO

- Remain calm and move slowly to keep you
- Seek medical attention

DON’T

- Apply a tourniquet
- Apply ice to the wound
- Attempt to suck the venom out of the wound
Attachments
H40-snake-bite-Crane-Flat-w-air-ambulance.JPG
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Re: YOSAR Rattlesnake Incidents 8/27-8/29

Post by ERIC »

maverick wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:49 pm
And, finally, some do’s and don’ts if you are bitten by a rattlesnake:

DO

- Remain calm and move slowly to keep you
Did this part get cut off, Mav?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Did this part get cut off, Mav?
Nope, that's what they wrote.

PS Wrote to someone in YOSAR about it. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Over decades I've encountered numbers of rattlesnakes in Yosemite Valley (~4k feet) as well as elsewhere in the Sierra Nevada. Fortunately they are not common where snows pile up during winter so are uncommon where most of us backpack. Although one usually reads supposed elevation limits, such usually doesn't explain that those limits are much lower at mean snow lines on sunny south facing slopes versus shadier northern exposures. They are also most common in areas with permanent water most of a year especially along large all year streams and rivers as that is where their rodent prey will colonize over centuries. A wise reason to not hike in shorts at lower elevations but rather robust blue jeans.

Rattlesnake sleeping in a remote sandy wash at Death Valley NP March 2016.

bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I always thought that the elevation upper limit for rattlers in Yosemite was 7000', and maybe 7500' in SEKI. Then I photographed one in SEKI at 9050' and wondered what it was doing there. As the Central Valley is getting drier and warmer, the snakes are going higher to get away.
BESON
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by BESON »

"Thanks" for sharing. Just out of curiosity - rattlesnakes don't like to hang out in or under water, right? On two separate occasions a handful of weeks ago, I was wading and fishing in the Kings River (once near Zumwalt and once upstream a ways). Both times, as I was wading, I ran into a snake hunkered down at the bottom. Scared me pretty good both times. I couldn't make out what sort they were, but unmistakably snakes and definitely alive. Now it's got me wondering whether I've had a false sense of security while wading and perhaps I ought to keep more of an eye out ...
Brian
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Snakes are at home on land and in water. I watched a rattlesnake slither away from me early season up near I80 and 20 right into the lake and curled up underwater.
Ward Lk in the Trinity alps was thick with garter snakes, swimming and waiting for smaller trout to swim by. Friend pulled up a trout and a garter was attached to the fish.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

BESON wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 pm "Thanks" for sharing. Just out of curiosity - rattlesnakes don't like to hang out in or under water, right? On two separate occasions a handful of weeks ago, I was wading and fishing in the Kings River (once near Zumwalt and once upstream a ways). Both times, as I was wading, I ran into a snake hunkered down at the bottom. Scared me pretty good both times. I couldn't make out what sort they were, but unmistakably snakes and definitely alive. Now it's got me wondering whether I've had a false sense of security while wading and perhaps I ought to keep more of an eye out ...
Maybe a Rubber Boa?
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

We see rattlers near MTR all the time.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

The younger/smaller ones can easily be overlooked. I almost stepped on this guy. Middle Fork Kings about 6500 ft:

IMG_2232.jpeg