Trip Report: High Sierra Trail Yoyo

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ironmike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Report: High Sierra Trail Yoyo

Post by ironmike »

awesome wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:44 pm
What's the main benefit of camping at Crabtree vs. Guitar Lake, access to a bear box?
Sit down crapper versus WAG bag! Not a trivial consideration!
:nod:
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

awesome wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:44 pm Wright Creek!
I attempted a yo-yo of the HST planning a return through the Kaweahs, but was thwarted by heavy snow remaining on their eastern slopes.
Re. Wright Creek, here is a quote from my HST trip report, "The fording of raging Wright Creek, muddy from the afternoon's showers, was the most exciting event of the evening."
I ended up doing a semi-yo-yo, ending my trip at RoadsEnd near Cedar Grove.
Trip report is at: http://www.sierrahiker.com/HighSierraTrail/index.html
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Nice pics Awesome. And Bill,I enjoyed your olde sierrahiker trip report. Cheers, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jim F »

Awesome, thanks for the TR.

Bill, thanks for your TR from 1997. Concerning the Kern Hot Springs, you noted "The first time I was here (1960), the tub was housed in a small cabin." In 1959 Dad and I stopped there and enjoyed the tub. I definitely recall the cabin. A short distance away was the Chagoopa Falls Ranger Station. We were low on provisions, and the friendly ranger gave me two cans of corned beef hash.

This season Ranger Rob was stationed at Tyndall Creek, not at his customary location at the Crabtree Village, which was inherited by Ranger Christine this season. (Ranger Christine had never heard of the Chagoopa Falls Ranger Station.) Rob's wife is now a botanist for the Park. Hope they are back at TM this winter.

Again, gentlemen, your motivating TRs are appreciated.

Jim
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

Thanks for the trip report and the photos, I like the idea of a YoYo or a loop to do the HST vs shuttle or something to get from one side to the other.
Around dinner time I stopped and made an incredible pot of thick tortilla soup.
got a recipe for this soup? Or was this a "packaged" meal?
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
awesome
Topix Novice

Post by awesome »

wsp_scott wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:32 am got a recipe for this soup? Or was this a "packaged" meal?
Good question. It was kind of an ad hoc approximation of Skurka's beans and rice recipe, with the last of my crumbly corn tortillas instead of fritos. No cheese but I tossed in dehydrated tomatoes, garlic,and onion. And some bacon jerky...that really took it to the next level!
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

awesome wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:20 pm
wsp_scott wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:32 am got a recipe for this soup? Or was this a "packaged" meal?
Good question. It was kind of an ad hoc approximation of Skurka's beans and rice recipe, with the last of my crumbly corn tortillas instead of fritos. No cheese but I tossed in dehydrated tomatoes, garlic,and onion. And some bacon jerky...that really took it to the next level!
Thanks, I almost always have beans and rice for a couple meals, but I was hoping you had a secret recipe for tortilla soup :)
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
awesome
Topix Novice

Post by awesome »

Sorry to disappoint you.;) It was very light on the rice though, only about 1/4 cup and definitely soupy. The secret is of course to liberally season it with hunger.
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

wsp_scott wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:32 am Thanks for the trip report and the photos, I like the idea of a YoYo or a loop to do the HST vs shuttle or something to get from one side to the other.
Agreed. Shuttling just seems like way more of a hassle than is necessary. A good option for making a loop while still remaining on trail is to return via Colby Pass to Lodgepole, and then either hitching, taking the park shuttles, or hiking through the Giant Forest back to Crescent Meadow. This route is the exact same distance as the HST from Crescent Meadow to Whitney, and in my opinion is a slightly easier hike. Due to some time constraints I did the HST to Whitney/Colby loop in seven days, which was a quicker pace than I would've liked, but I feel like doing it in ten would be more than enough time to properly explore.