Ridge on west side of Blue Canyon near Sonora Pass

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
matbat17
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ridge on west side of Blue Canyon near Sonora Pass

Post by matbat17 »

Has anyone hiked/climbed along the ridge on the west side of Blue canyon ? This runs roughly north - south and climbs up to an unnamed peak on the crest about midway between Leavitt and Nightcap Peak.
Thanks, Mike
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Ridge on west side of Blue Canyon near Sonora Pass

Post by c9h13no3 »

matbat17 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:09 pm Has anyone hiked/climbed along the ridge on the west side of Blue canyon ? This runs roughly north - south and climbs up to an unnamed peak on the crest about midway between Leavitt and Nightcap Peak.
Thanks, Mike
There's this traverse, but not exactly the ridge you're referring to. The rock in that area generally isn't great, making summer & fall climbs pretty miserable. I've often been intrigued by skiing the peaks there, since there's north facing lines so close to the road. But there's easier objectives that don't require building a bridge over Deadman creek, or bushwhacking from Kennedy Meadows.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
matbat17
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by matbat17 »

Thanks for the info about the traverse. Not something I would want to attempt.
However the description was very detailed and helpful. Especially the photos for the 2nd day.
I think the ridge I was contemplating leads up to "Sleek Peak". I thought it might be an interesting way to gain access to the crest but as has been stated the rock is very unstable so may be I might try an alternative approach. May be start at Chipmunk flat and try to gain the crest east of Night Cap peak ?
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by looks easy from here »

paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

Have been up Leavitt Peak via Blue canyon & Deadman Lakes, long ago. Loose scree, only fun on the way down.