The Case for PLBs

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
acorad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: The Case for PLBs

Post by acorad » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:25 pm

JosiahSpurr wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:58 pm
Would a red marine flare be able to get the attention of SAR if they are in the general vicinity? ORION " Getting you home Safely" Hand-Held Marine Red Signal Flare. "Hold this end." Burn time: up to 3 minutes. Brightness: Up to 700 Candlepower. US Coastguard Approved for Day or Nighttime Use. Ignite *ONLY* When an Aircraft or Vessel is Sighted.
Be very careful with flares, especially in the forest.

As my brother and I learned while messing around in the woods as kids with one of these flares, they will not go out until they are completely burned out. You cannot stop them. You can stomp on them, you can smash rocks on them, you can shove them deep into the dirt, but they will not go out. And, if you are not careful, the material that is burning can crumble into dozens of pieces and scatter all over and start dozens of individual fires in the tinder-dry forest floor. And these crumbles themselves will also not go out until they burn out, even if you stand fully on them, stomping them into the forest floor. Where they, of course, then start the forest floor on fire...

Be very careful.

bobby49
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:42 pm

There is one good way to put out a burning flare. You give it a solid whack with the sharp edge of a machete. With it completely severed that way, the burning end goes out quickly.

acorad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by acorad » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:43 pm

bobby49 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:42 pm
There is one good way to put out a burning flare. You give it a solid whack with the sharp edge of a machete. With it completely severed that way, the burning end goes out quickly.
Ha! Considering the dumb stuff I did as a kid, like lighting a flare in a forest, I'm glad I did not have access to a machete! :eek:

Andy