TR: Wallace/Amphitheatre Figure-8

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bulaklakan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Wallace/Amphitheatre Figure-8

Post by bulaklakan »

WD - yes, I can put together a map. Generally though - as per the TR - From Palisade Lakes we crossed Mather Pass on the JMT and then from Upper Basin went over 'Upper Basin Cross' into the Amphitheater Basin. (The HST cross-country map calls it Upper Basin Cross, Secor calls the same pass 'Amphitheater Pass'.)
We met you at Amphitheater Lake in 2013. We were just leaving and you had just arrived over Cataract Pass - you took a group photo of us with the lake. As I recall you asked us if we knew of a passable way to get from Amphitheater directly to the NE into the canyon north of Mather Pass. I was disappointed to see in your subsequent TR that you didn't find a way over. On this 2020 trip as we proceeded south towards Mather Pass on the trail I examined the slopes to the west to see if there were possibilities there. I think it could be done, but would involve climbing some steep talus and likely with some trial-and-error.
There are fish in Amphitheater Lake. They're still doing the frog research in the lakes above.
Also a curiosity - there's a white buoy in the middle of Amphitheater Lake. Related to the frog/fish research in the neighboring lakes?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Wallace/Amphitheatre Figure-8

Post by Wandering Daisy »

No need for a map now I have the name of the pass. I will just look it up. I probably miss-read your report since I could not tell if you went over Mather Pass before going into the Amphitheater basin.

It was my impression that the long-term goal for Amphitheater Lake is also to get rid of the fish. It has been a while since I was there, so perhaps F&G plans have been changed. Wow, I hardly remembered seeing you when I was there in 2013! You have a better memory then I do.