2021 trips booked?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: 2021 trips booked?

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I'll be making my third try for the JMT SOBO out of Tuolumne Meadows and finishing at Cottonwood Lakes via Miter basin and Mt Langley. The last two were delayed for health reasons. Planning on going in the first week of July.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I plan to spend the early summer doing a few long weekend hikes in the Trinity Alps and Marble Mts, where no reservations are needed and the elevations are lower. I'm hoping to start a longer 3 week trip in the Sierra mid-August. I plan to do a 14 to 15 day loop mostly in the Whitney area and Upper Kern with a hike over Kearsarge to pick up a resupply. The plan after that is to take a day off at a campground with a shower then hike into Gem Lake, Marie Lakes, over into Yosemite and loop back around, taking a full day to explore Kuna Lake, Bingham, etc after getting a taste for the area in 2020. So, I've got a little over a month still before I even need to think about reservations, and the Kuna Crest will be starting from whatever trailhead is available for the day after I finish part 1 (assuming walk-up permits will be an option in 2021).
brandoge
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by brandoge »

I booked permits to hike the Lost Coast in May which I'm really excited for!

I've only ever done pretty short trips (3 nights the longest), so this summer I hope to do a long (for me) 6 night trip from Cottonwood Lakes -> Miter Basin -> Whitney exit. Hoping I can snag permits for end of July or early August, crossing my fingers! Trip planning has me really excited for the upcoming season :D
UtahBrian
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by UtahBrian »

I've been trying to get a late June Yosemite permit from Happy Isles.

Hard to get more than 1 person, but the 1 person permits are surprisingly easy. I'd like to invite some family along instead of going alone. I guess I'll just keep trying.

I think it looks like another low snowpack year and there's really no way to tell what crazy new lockdown or opening policy the authorities will have by summer. So I'm betting on late June as the best time to be hitting peaks and swimming high lakes in Yosemite with most of the snow gone and streams still running strong lower down.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Have you thought about having those who would join you get their permit from Glacier Point? It actually is logistically great for a group to have one car parked in the Valley and the other at Glacier Point. You could do a car exchange so neither person would have to repeat mileage and both could see the waterfalls via Mist or JMT trail and the Panorama Trail, which is quite scenic.

Also, there usually are more permits for Little Yosemite Valley "pass through".
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Reserved a Glen Aulin permit for 7 last week of June. Just an extended weekend trip to see the falls (hopefully high water) and take advantage of the Tuolumne BP camp for a couple nights.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
newossab
Topix Novice

Post by newossab »

Reserved a permit out of the Shadow Creek headed to Tuolumne for July 6th. Trying to determine the best route out of the Agnew Meadows, I assume the going up to Shadow Lake and jumping on the JMT would be the most scenic route.

Also attempting to secure permits from Tuolumne to Yosemite Valley later in the month of July.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

newossab wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:25 pm Reserved a permit out of the Shadow Creek headed to Tuolumne for July 6th. Trying to determine the best route out of the Agnew Meadows, I assume the going up to Shadow Lake and jumping on the JMT would be the most scenic route.
Take a look at https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 337626.pdf it shows the initial route you need to take for each trailhead... if you have a Shadow Creek permit you need to follow the red line up to the JMT, or head up to Ediza and backtrack the next day.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

So far we have two in Yosemite for June... first is uphill through the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne, maybe XC to Mattie Lake or Roosevelt Lake if conditions/snow allow. second is a group trip out of Cathedral Lakes: Clouds Rest, Half Dome, follow the Merced/Lewis Creek up to Bernice Lake and return over Vogelsang.

Haven't decided on any east side trips yet but I'll be attempting to get something in Sequoia to do a trip up to Lion Lake and the Tablelands in Sept since our permits last year were cancelled due to the fire.
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

I plan to attempt a PCT thru-hike, leaving April 1st. Sierra in early June. Permits become available Tuesday. Yay!