Maps for 2021

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Maps for 2021

Post by kpeter »

For years I used first ACME and then CalTopo to research trips and then print out paper maps. As I began planning for next summer I found that Cal Topo has gone to a tiered subscription system, and the free version does not seem to offer the USGS maps that it did last summer. And looking back at old ACME, it no longer seems to offer the USGS maps either.

Has something changed? And what is up with CalTopo? I could not figure out if subscribing at one level or another would get me to the USGS maps as it once did?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Maps for 2021

Post by c9h13no3 »

kpeter wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 am Has something changed? And what is up with CalTopo? I could not figure out if subscribing at one level or another would get me to the USGS maps as it once did?
The USGS maps are under scanned topos right?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

I use the free version of CalTopo and I still see all of the maps. In the older version, the map links were on the left banner, now they appear on the right banner, under the heading "preset combinations". It is the same as before as far as I can tell.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

TurboHike wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:53 am I use the free version of CalTopo and I still see all of the maps. In the older version, the map links were on the left banner, now they appear on the right banner, under the heading "preset combinations". It is the same as before as far as I can tell.
Thanks! Having been used to the old version my eyes refused to see that list over on the right hand side:)

I am curious as to whether people who subscribe think they get their money's worth, or whether most of us use the free version like Turbo and me.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

I started a "pro" subscription to Caltopo about 5 years ago for two reasons: 1) I find the program incredibly useful and I know that people who make such wonderful things need to be paid or they will disappear; and 2) I wanted to make some big 36 x 48 inch custom poster maps. Subsequently, I have used other pro features, such as the ability to define and save my own custom layer combinations and use the sentinel satellite overlay.
-Phil
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have a similar question concerning Google Earth. I have not found a way to get a "ground level" view. Does anyone know where it is now on the menu? Or have they eliminated it from the free version?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

on Google earth.. You press your view all the way to the ground and it switches into ground view. I use my mouse wheel to go to ground.
To exit ground view, there is a button on the top right to exit.

I'm using Google Earth Pro.. It is free.

Build:
7.3.3.7786 (32-bit)
Tuesday, July 21, 2020 6:25:01 PM UTC
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

kpeter wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:55 pm
TurboHike wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:53 am I use the free version of CalTopo and I still see all of the maps. In the older version, the map links were on the left banner, now they appear on the right banner, under the heading "preset combinations". It is the same as before as far as I can tell.
Thanks! Having been used to the old version my eyes refused to see that list over on the right hand side:)

I am curious as to whether people who subscribe think they get their money's worth, or whether most of us use the free version like Turbo and me.
I am a Caltopo Pro subscriber. I think it is very much worth the subscription cost. I can print large maps (the free version is limited to 8.5 x 11) and can sync Caltopo to Google Earth so that all caltopo map elements can be toggled on/off when in Google Earth. That is very helpful to see Caltopo routes/markers/slope shading/usgs map layered on the Google Earth terrain.
-------------
Dave | flickr
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I tried the "all the way to the ground" that used to work in the older version of basic Google Earth, and it does not work in the new basic version. I guess they moved that into Earth Pro.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

GE pro is free. upgrade.