Mono Pass to Lake Edison advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mono Pass to Lake Edison advice

Post by kpeter »

I have convinced my friend to do a shuttle trip going in over Mono Pass on July 19 and leaving via Lake Edison a week to 10 days later. I hope to do Pioneer Basin and look in on another recess or two before heading to the Silver divide and taking in some of the areas I missed on my hike last summer.

A tentative schedule could be:
0) Place car at Lake Edison, drive to Mammoth pick up permit, motel it.
1) In at Mosquito flat, camp at 4th Recess lake.
2) To Pioneer Basin, lake 10862.
3) Explore Pioneer Basin
4) Laurel/Grinnell Lake
5) Over Silver Pass to Hortense Lake
6) Explore
7) Peter Pande Lake
8) Graveyard Lakes en route out.
9) Out to Edison, drive to Mammoth, pick up car, motel it.
10) Drive home

How does the itinerary look to those of you familiar with this area? A long trip, to be sure, but a lot of spectacular places to see.
I also wonder about a resupply.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Mono Pass to Lake Edison advice

Post by balzaccom »

It's a nice itinerary...and that area offers lots of options for exploring. The best part is that you could get from one trailhead to the other in a day, or at least two days...so the rest of your time can just be spent poking around and seeing what you want to see. Plus, it gives you some options if the weather turns ugly. We decided NOT to camp at Pioneer Basin a few years ago as we were experiencing violent thunderstorms and hail...so just day-hiked up there and camped down below. It's a great trip you have ahead of you. Enjoy it.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

Fourth Recess seems out of the way unless you're exploring/peakbagging over there. Go up to Snow lakes and cross over to Third Recess and down that. Then do Pioneer. Or the reverse.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

4th Recess Lake is NOT far off the trail, and is spectacular as well as has good camping. It does require re-crossing the creek twice; wading in early season, but not bad at all. I think 4th Recess is more beautiful than 3rd Recess.

thegib- I do not understand the route you are suggesting. Can you either show a map or explain more? I do not see how you go from Third Recess to Pioneer Basin without backtracking. And according to an earlier post today, I do not think the route you suggest is in line with what kpeter likes to do.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I agree with Daisy about 4th Recess...and the golden/rainbow trout fishing there, too!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Day 4/5 over Shout of Relief, not Silver Pass. On day 7/8 over Silver Fox Pass.

IMO your itinerary would better experience these areas in two or three 9 day backpacks versus fitting in so much that hardly does these areas justice. There are more than enough other places to visit and explore on each side of the Silver Divide to do so. Within the Mono Creek Basin, the upper Mills Creek area is of highest aesthetics especially for late sunset light. Single days at Laurel Grinnel and Peter Pande zones are way too little.

4/5 Laurel Grinnel
6/7 Mills Creek
8 Mono Creek at ~9.7k
9 hike out to TH

Edison TH
1 Mott Lake
2 Mace Lake
3 Hortense Lake
4 Chief Lake
5 Olive Lake
6 Anne Lake
7 Peter Pande Lake
8 Graveyard Lake 10040
9 Edison TH
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

After this past season's fires, will there be access to Lake Edison?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think your plan is fine, except I do not think you mean "Silver Pass" when going from Grinnell to Hortense. I think you go via Rosy Finch Lake (Roper's High Route to Lake Isaac Walton). I would camp at Lake Isaac Walton and day-hike/fish to Hortense, then take the trail to Horse Haven, and on down and up towards Silver Pass. A night at a lake here would be worthwhile.

The loop route down from Grinnell to Mono Creek and then up Second Recess via Mill Creek and over Gabot Pass, coming out via Lake Italy and through Granite Park and out Pine Lakes is also a good trip, with easier car logistics- basically saving a day and night in a motel.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Single days at Laurel Grinnel and Peter Pande zones are way too little.
You have a lot on your plate, Pioneer Basin is great (maybe one day), would rather spend more time in the above mentioned zones (include Laurel Lake), and consider dropping Hortense. The Peter Pande, Anne, and Olive Lakes area are pretty.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Imagine your a fly fisherman standing directly in this view at the bend right casting directly upstream with a video recording from my camera position. Fish like this wet meadow stream's grassy edges for cover any time of day. A few places have undercut banks that provided a most tasty footer for a friend years ago. A decent pan-sized golden trout takes the #15 Adams after it drifted 10 feet down stream from where you placed it alighting softly on the water. As the landed fish wiggles near the shore, you bend down with pliers and properly grab the hook after briefly lifting the creature up for its publicity picture then is very happy to flop back in. :wink:

Already did the work for my trip into that area. Below is a bit of that off the Excel sheet. Above is where will camp 2 nights in whitebarks on slope of the middle meadow directly in front of Slate from this position.

Funny thing is hardly any groups ever notice those trees because they are mostly out of view of the trail by being below the rim of a open treeless flat the trail routes on. Why would groups bother paying any interest with lots of green trees in their view lower and Tully Lake finally on their last leg to. Rocky, cliffy areas lookers right has some of the best areas of Coville's columbine I've come across against interesting colorful Paleozoic geology.

RedSlsum.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.