2021 trips booked?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2021 trips booked?

Post by SirBC »

The information on the Inyo website for walk-up permits seems to differ from what is being discussed here. The text mentions, "For the 2020 season" though, so not sure what is correct.
For the 2020 season while our visitor centers are not open to foot traffic all wilderness permits are by web reservation with check in by phone or email and permit delivered by email.

60% of the quota space can be reserved starting 6 months in advance.
40% of quota traditionally set aside for walk up permits is being added to the reservation website every Monday afternoon for the following Monday through Sunday.
If quota space is available, reservations can be made until one day before the trip.
Canceled space is returned to the reservation calendar at a random time within 24 hours.
-------------
Dave | flickr
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

"Cancellation" is NOT the same as "no-show". People are lazy and I would guess half do not bother to cancel. The in-person permit pick-up allows the FS to give "no-show" permits. No internet version of permitting is going to utilize all the available spaces. If this is to be our future permit system, there needs to be a better incentive (larger refundable deposit?) to encourage people to actually cancel when they cannot do the trip and discourage over-booking.
David_Caruso
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by David_Caruso »

Just paid for the permit and all set for a leisurely 4 day hike of the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne...starting at White Wolf. Doing it with my wife, so planning 4 days starting June 17th. Hopefully not too early, but based on current snowpack that shouldn't be a problem.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

David_Caruso wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:13 am Just paid for the permit and all set for a leisurely 4 day hike of the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne...starting at White Wolf. Doing it with my wife, so planning 4 days starting June 17th. Hopefully not too early, but based on current snowpack that shouldn't be a problem.

Well one can always cancel later. There have been several droughty early winters that did not end up so and today may be the start of another. 1986 was especially so.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:32 pm "Cancellation" is NOT the same as "no-show". People are lazy and I would guess half do not bother to cancel. The in-person permit pick-up allows the FS to give "no-show" permits. No internet version of permitting is going to utilize all the available spaces. If this is to be our future permit system, there needs to be a better incentive (larger refundable deposit?) to encourage people to actually cancel when they cannot do the trip and discourage over-booking.
I agree 100%. People book up all the slots, just in case. Then they don't show. Nobody knows, and nobody else gets to go. Miserable.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted

Post by looks easy from here »

Booked for August 1. Had a bit of a panic when I clicked "Book Now" at 7:00:05 this morning and my account crashed, so I had to empty my cart and retry TWICE. Fortunately no one swooped in and snagged them in-between attempts and I got what I wanted. Pine Creek's gonna get a little rowdy that week.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

No trips planned but...
Was awarded my Tuolumne Store bid (Aramark employee jargon) and, if it opens up this season, will be once again be at my usual cash register, schlepping beer to all you dirtbags up in the Meadows. Stop by and say hi... maybe see our employee area - Club Med and the famous Twilight Lounge.
IMG_0182.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Glad to hear it. I know that you really enjoy being up there!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

looks easy from here wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:07 pm Booked for August 1 ... Pine Creek's gonna get a little rowdy that week.
Perhaps we will cross paths (?) - I have a Pine Creek permit starting a couple days before you. Hoping to visit Royce Lakes, if I feel comfortable with the x/c travel when I get there.

@markskor
Love the watercolor ! It shows me what I missed last summer when I visited (with no store) :(
BardoPond
Topix Acquainted

Post by BardoPond »

I forgot to check when Inyo reservations started, and many of the trailheads were already booked for all of July. I was still able to snatch up permits for Piute Pass and Kearsarge Pass at the end of June, that for some reason hadn't been taken. Perhaps it will be too early for the routes I have in mind.

Personally I find the current reservation system stress-inducing. It's handy to see the availability on the website, but handing out most of the permits 6 months in advance doesn't make sense to me. A couple of weeks seems more sensible as people have more realistic ideas of their plans (and conditions) at that point. We probably wouldn't see this hoarding behavior and consequent no-shows. I'm sure this is just my situation though (e.g. being flexible about exact starting date).

I have a feeling that if reservations opened 10 years and 6 months in advance, Kearsarge Pass TH would already be fully booked for Aug 6th 2031.