Day Reservations Required To Enter Yosemite 2/8

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Day Reservations Required To Enter Yosemite 2/8

Post by grampy »

The disorganization of the NPS notwithstanding, the fact that the woman’s next of kin needed to be notified (likely requiring involvement of the State Department) probably figured in the delay.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Back on subject please.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

if you have a backcountry permit do you need a the park reservation?
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

MountainMinstrel,

You do NOT need a park day use reservation if you have a wilderness permit (per current YNP website). Be sure that you enter on the day before or the day your permit starts. The Entrance Station does not hesitate to turn unauthorized cars around. I'm likely going to be in the Valley this Tues/Wed and do not plan on needing a park reservation either. This season the Backpacker's Campground has been in the last two loops of Upper Pines.

Some fine weather is in the forecast.

Jim
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

No, as Jim said, if you have a Yosemite Wilderness Permit. Currenty, they are saying "Reservations will be required until local public health conditions improve." They have not released any permits past February at this point, though they do have a March calendar.

I did write Cicely Muldoon and requested that they allow people with an overnight reservation on the East side to get a drive-though permit and not be subject to the Day Use reservation. Years ago, after they raised the park entrance fee, they allowed you to drive through on Tioga Road for $5. While I don't expect them to forego the park entrance fee anymore, it would be nice to get a pass-through permit to get to trailheads on the East Side without a Yosemite reservation. Otherwise, one has to go over Sonora Pass, which is a lot further than Tioga unless you are going to one of the Hoover Wilderness trailheads.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

LMBSGV wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:04 pmOtherwise, one has to go over Sonora Pass, which is a lot further than Tioga unless you are going to one of the Hoover Wilderness trailheads.
It's only 10 more minutes from Yosemite Junction to Lee Vining via Sonora Pass. Throw in that stupid RV in Yosemite that won't let people pass, and it's a wash.

Course, my wife always vomits coming down the eastside of Sonora, so there's more reasons to avoid that road :|
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Jim F wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:54 pm MountainMinstrel,

You do NOT need a park day use reservation if you have a wilderness permit (per current YNP website). Be sure that you enter on the day before or the day your permit starts. The Entrance Station does not hesitate to turn unauthorized cars around. I'm likely going to be in the Valley this Tues/Wed and do not plan on needing a park reservation either. This season the Backpacker's Campground has been in the last two loops of Upper Pines.

Some fine weather is in the forecast.

Jim
Thanks for the clarification. I thought that was the case, but these days, you never what they are going to do.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.