Suggestions for Sierra outfitters?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tiger40c
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Suggestions for Sierra outfitters?

Post by tiger40c »

I am returning to my youth love of backpacking and hiking, but need to refresh my skills and get up to speed with contemporary LNT techniques, etc. I am without any friends who share this passion, so looking for suggestions for reputable outfitters who guide 4-5 day trips in the Sierras. I can provide my own gear.

Many thanks.
Packtofish
Topix Acquainted

Re: Suggestions for Sierra outfitters?

Post by Packtofish »

I've never used a guide service but, I believe these guys have a good reputation. http://www.symg.com/index.php

You can always tag along with me for half price though! :D
tiger40c
Topix Newbie

Post by tiger40c »

Many thanks, Packtofish!

Last year, I went on an REI sponsored trip, which was wonderful. But I would like to do a different Sierra (particularly Yosemite) route this year. Additional suggestions most welcome, as well as links to clubs or groups that hike together in the Sierras, and welcome fit beginners. I do plan to check out Sierra Club outings as well.
rrivera
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rrivera »

I am involved in the Loma Prieta Sierra Club backpacking section and there are a lot of 3 day to week outings that we offer for a pretty minimal fee http://lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/BPS/trips.html the SF chapter has a number of trips as well. The national outings are really great I went on one a few years back in Kings Canyon NP and there were only 3 of us it was one of the best trips I've ever done.