Castle Crags State Park

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
pvhiker
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Castle Crags State Park

Post by pvhiker »

I am wondering if anyone has knowledge of the Castle Crags State Park in northern CA? I have never been there and am wondering if it is worth a 200 mile drive? I am concerned that it is right off Interstate 5. Is there much solitude, or would I be listening to the Interstate traffic? Are there any good hiking trails for my family and I? I would also enjoy hearing of small stream fishing in the area. What about taking my dog?

Sorry I have so many questions. It is a toss up whether we will head to Lassen NP or Castle Crags SP. I went to Lassen NP for the first time last year and loved it, but was hoping to see something new. I would like to put off Lassen NP until the construction at Manzanita Lake and the visitor center is done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike V.
Strider
Topix Regular

Re: Castle Crags State Park

Post by Strider »

If you are coming from the Bay Area, Yolla Bolly is closer and has spectacular trails.
'Hike long and perspire'
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

While the Yolla Bolly's get far less use (very few hikers at all, in fact) and are not as far north, Castle Crags has more spectacular scenery owing to the ruggedness of the Crags themselves. Moreover, Castle Crags is accessed with very short drives off of I-5 whereas the drive from I-5 up to some of the premier Yolla Bolly kickoff spots are long roads. For that reason, the overall driving time to the Yolla Bolly traiheads is not much shorter than to get to Castle Crag kickoff points for that reason. I do not know about stream fishing, but there are lakes in that area. Castle Crags wilderness has several lakes with good fishing. Some of these are nice hiking destinations. The nearby views are nice, and the views to Shasta are superb.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

CCSP is a great place! I love Dunsmuir which boasts the second oldest fly shop in CA. Ted Fay Fly Shop offers the best advice on fishing this area. I learned how to fish both the Upper Sac and McCloud rivers from Joe who, last I knew, still ties for the shop. I fished the Upper Sac way before the train wreck and chemical spill and I tried HARD for years to catch a Dolly Varden to no avail. Both CCSP and the Upper Sac are right next to I-5 but on opposite sides of the freeway. There is a tunnel under I-5 which connects the campground and the river. So, you can indeed walk from the campground and fish the river. If you decide to go here please feel free to PM me and I'll share some great river access areas all within a 15-minute drive from CCSP. Ted Fay Fly Shop will also provide you with a river access map upon request. Also nearby, is McCloud Lake and McCloud River. The fishing is awesome! Also, as giantbrookie eluded to, the scenery is wacko from the trails both inside and just outside the park. With the crags and Shasta looming....WOW! As far as crowds, yea. Reserving a site will be your only guarentee of obtaining one. It is very often full (always during this time of year). Bears are everywhere and the sites have bear boxes.

Regards,

Flip