Favorite backpacking brookie recipe?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Poopah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Favorite backpacking brookie recipe?

Post by Poopah »

So we'll be seeing a lot of brookies on our trip in 10 days and I'm looking for some suggestions on how to prepare a couple. No fires in Desolation, so we're limited to cooking on the stove.
Iamjbird04
Topix Acquainted

Re: Favorite backpacking brookie recipe?

Post by Iamjbird04 »

I always make sure an bring italian breadcrumbs, lawry's salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and dried onions (unless you can find some wild fresh ones). I cook em up in olive oil with the skin on. After they're cooked the skin should slide off and then add a little more seasoning and your left with moist delicious trout.
dwgalhardo
Topix Newbie

Post by dwgalhardo »

This is a neat website/ backpacking cooking philosophy I recently came across: http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/everythingelse.htm
They have a recipe that sounds great for trout chowder, I can't seem to find it now, but you can spend sometime there, and maybe search for trout chowder recipes. I'll definitely be trying on my next trip.
But again, not much beats the good little trout over the fire.
DAVIDO
Topix Novice

Post by DAVIDO »

bread crumbs...have to try that next time sounds delicious. I usually just go with the lemon pepper, seasoned salt, garlic, nice and simple