Reluctantly looking at DSLRs

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
rscofield
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Reluctantly looking at DSLRs

Post by rscofield »

Hi

My Nikon F3 is getting tired (and heavy) and the 4x5 has always been too heavy for my style of backpacking. I bought a point and shoot digital to take backpacking and reduce pack weight but I am not super happy with it. My base weight is around 13 lbs. I have a ton of Nikkor AI-S lens which I understand should work on Nikon digitals (minus auto focus). Anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions on a middle of the road DSLR that is both fully functional and lighter weight. I have avoided digital like the plaque so far and know little about it.
Windwalker
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Reluctantly looking at DSLRs

Post by Windwalker »

I would suggest taking a couple of your lenses with you to a camera shop.
Check out the various bodies, hold them in your hand, mount a lens or two to the body and try it out.
Most camera shops would be more than happy to let you try things out a bit before you decide.
(something you can't really do with the mass retailers)

I know many photogs who resisted going digital, most say "I don't know why I waited so long".
Enjoy the ride!
rscofield
Topix Acquainted

Post by rscofield »

Thanks good idea! And yes I have very mixed emotions about digital. Something about being old fashioned and traditional :)
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

One other avenue if you are as stuck to traditional film as I am is to look at a used Nikon F series body. They are outrageously cheap these days - an excellent condition F3 or F4 body will go for $200-400. I realize weight is a concern, but compare the weight of your old F3 to a Nikon digital and you'll find they're basically the same. If you want go digital, and want to check lens compatibility, here are a couple of good sources:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Windwalker gives some great advice. Something to remember if/when you do test out a body: make sure you test the full range of f-stops and such. I use Canon and I'm not sure if Nikon is similar, but my older lenses I used for my film body worked fine on the digital body when I test them out. Then the first day 'in the field' I tried stopping down and kept getting an error. Turns out the lenses were too old and needed to be 'rechipped'.
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Since I shoot Canon I can't give much advice, other than obviously sticking with Nikon due to your lenses. I don't know the different models of Nikons but I have been hearing some great things about their latest offerings.
It's all about the WILDERNESS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/page9/
rscofield
Topix Acquainted

Post by rscofield »

In doing more research, some of the digital Nikons do work with the older lenses but the meter does not couple which is a bummer. Also for the Nikon DX format the angle of view is 1.5 so you get cropping. I'm still looking around but am more decided that this is the way to go.

Russell in Joshua Tree
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

I'd say most of the DSLR have some type of sensor 'cropping'. Depending what you shoot, cropping can be a good thing, especially for wildlife/birds. I'm shooting with the full-framed Canon 5D, but Nikon has the D700.
rscofield
Topix Acquainted

Post by rscofield »

Well I bit it and got a Nikon D300. I wanted a full frame sensor but there was a huge weight difference plus the idea of my 400 3.5 becoming a 600 3.5 is rather appealing I must admit :-) Anyway thanks for everyone’s advice. It should be here soon.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

rscofield wrote:Well I bit it and got a Nikon D300. I wanted a full frame sensor but there was a huge weight difference plus the idea of my 400 3.5 becoming a 600 3.5 is rather appealing I must admit :-) Anyway thanks for everyone’s advice. It should be here soon.
Can't wait to see the pics!